Desktops forum

Question

I'd like to buy a desktop, but I don't know what I need?

by katidelozier / October 10, 2011 6:25 PM PDT

I have a MacBook that I use for school, but I'd like a desktop to have as well.

I'd really just use it for word processing and internet shenanigans, but I'm thinking I might do some gaming on it. (Nothing completely major, a few games from Steam, but I don't actually consider myself a gamer.)

I haven't bought a desktop computer for at least 5 years, so I really don't even know where to begin looking, or even what to look for.

I feel like I don't need anything fancy... but I'm really not sure if I do or not, because while I don't consider myself a gamer... I do really enjoy playing games.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'd like to buy a desktop, but I don't know what I need?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'd like to buy a desktop, but I don't know what I need?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
New or refurbished?
by Coryphaeus / October 10, 2011 11:22 PM PDT

I've been buying from here for years and I love them.

http://www-304.ibm.com/shop/americas/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/default/CategoryDisplay?categoryId=2576395&storeId=1&catalogId=-840&langId=-1

My main PC is a ThinkCentre, my server is a ThinkCentre, my media center is a ThinkCentre, and I have three ThinkPads. The first one at the link looks killer.

Collapse -
I don't know..
by katidelozier / October 11, 2011 3:15 AM PDT
In reply to: New or refurbished?

Does new or refurbished make a big difference other than price? If it's refurbished, it should work correctly, right? I don't mind about outer appearance or anything like that. I just want it to work well.

Does IBM and Lenovo have a contract with each other or something? I've been looking at Lenovos a bit.

Thanks for the link, by the way!

Collapse -
Same only different . . .
by Coryphaeus / October 11, 2011 4:00 AM PDT
In reply to: I don't know..

IBM was the parent company. IBM handles enterprise and servers for major businesses. Levono is a spin off that handles PCs. I can't say enough about my "Levono" machines. I've used them since 1999 when I got my first ThinkPad. I honest to God finally threw it away only because it had W98 and just couldn't handle the Internet today. The machines I have today just do not break. You can search the forums for IBM or Levono and see how many problems there are compared to any other maker. Almost nil.

I did have to call customer support about 6 months ago because I couldn't get the dial-up modem in my latest T60 laptop (bought refurbished with extended warranty) to work. Thinking the modem was bad I called support. An American in Atlanta answered my call, I described the problem, he said no problem, and sent me a new modem. No questions, no problems, and he and all other support are here in the states. While it was on the way I got to thinking that modems just don't die. So I went into the BIOS and found it disable. I enable it and voila. When the new modem arrived I called them back and explained what happened and told them I'd send it back. He said keep it.

Again, I can't say enough about Levono products. I've owned Compaq, HP, and Toshiba. This is the reason I will own nothing but Levono.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.