Windows 7 forum

Question

I'd like to be able to use two Users simultaneously.

by matt674885 / July 4, 2011 1:33 PM PDT

Hi!

I'd like to be able to use two Users simultaneously--that is, two Users on my PC, which has Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bit. My hope is to not have to switch between Users (I use each User for different purposes). Can I keep both Users open AND SIMULTANEOUSLY Accessible--I mean, accessible at the same time?

Thank you.

Best,
Matt B.
Writer / Videographer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I'd like to be able to use two Users simultaneously.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I'd like to be able to use two Users simultaneously.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
That's not a feature of Windows
by Jimmy Greystone / July 4, 2011 11:23 PM PDT

That's not a feature of Windows. If you want to buy the server edition of Windows, and then buy Terminal Server on top of that, then you can do it, but you're probably looking at a couple thousand dollars when it's all said and done.

Linux and other *nix operating systems can do this, and have been doing it for many many years. On a single system it's a little difficult to do, since you'd need a second video card, mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc... For graphical apps anyway. Command line apps are easy.

On both Windows and *nix, it is possible to run different apps as different users. You might have some program running as Joe Blow, and then run another program as John Doe. Each one runs with the respective access rights of the user account, but it's not quite as comprehensive as what you are probably wanting.

Another option might be to run a VM. You could have one user account running in the VM, another user account on the host OS. Also a less than ideal solution, but might be workable.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by matt674885 / July 5, 2011 5:28 PM PDT

All I can do is repeat the subject title (i.e., "Thank you!").

Collapse -
Answer
We can add such but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 4, 2011 11:31 PM PDT

But it's more expensive than a second PC. I'm sure you noticed that.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you!
by matt674885 / July 5, 2011 5:29 PM PDT
In reply to: We can add such but

All I can do is repeat the subject title (i.e., "Thank you!"). <div style="visibility: hidden;" title="1309937370029" id="_booktextmark_tab_id_"></div>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.