Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I crashed my windows 98

by doug1 / March 26, 2005 6:34 AM PST

Ok here's the situation...I crashed my win 98 cd a few weeks ago by trying to copy the windows folder to my external HD, figuring it was the same thing as making a boot disk..well I screwed up and all the windows files are gone. So when I started it up again, I got the following messages:

the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\HIMEN.SYS

the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\DBLBLUFF.SYS

the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WIINDOWS\DBLBUFF.SYS

the following file is missing or corrupted: C:\WINDOWS\IFSHLP.SYS

Ok, so after contacting my sister, she lent me her copy of WIN98 SE, yet when I put the CD in the drive and typed run WIN98, this popped up:

Type the name of the Command INterpreter (e.g C:WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

I have no idea what the hell this means...any help would be greatly appreciated

or better yet you can reach me at Yahoo my handle name is Vittorio_x_X_X and at AIM it's TheDwnwrdSpiral0

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I crashed my windows 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I crashed my windows 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
see here...
by dfwpilot / March 26, 2005 10:48 AM PST
Collapse -
it gets better..lol
by doug1 / March 26, 2005 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: see here...

the disk drive was jammed with a disk and is unusable...lol

any other ideas?

Collapse -
The correct command is not run WIN98. . .
by Coryphaeus / March 27, 2005 2:39 AM PST
Collapse -
A drive is broken
by doug1 / March 28, 2005 4:34 AM PST

drive :A is broken because of a disk that got jammed in there.

any other ways to get the files i need on the computer? such as burning them onto a disk?

Collapse -
No.
by Kees Bakker / March 28, 2005 4:46 AM PST
In reply to: A drive is broken

You won't be able to read the disk, to name one of the problems.

Have the a:-drive repaired, get a boot diskette and the Windows 98 CD, be sure you've got the installation key and install Windows. After that it will take quite some time to get the machine into the state is was in before you by accident deleted the windows folder, but it will run basically.

Good luck,

Kees

Collapse -
agreed, but ....
by Cache22 / March 28, 2005 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: No.

You're correct about needing a working A drive, but I doubt the old one can, or should be fixed. Most floppys found on computer packages are worth about a buck and a half when they're new, and this one sounds like it's falling apart.

Nobody has asked the poster anything about what kind of computer/HD we're dealing with here - would have been informative.

The poster has access to another 98 and should make at least 3 boot floppys - they do have a high failure rate. First thing to do, after getting the machine to boot, is to have a look at the HD. What is it and what condition is it in? I wouldn't mess around with the existing 98 install. It's time to reformat and re-install. Messing with a corrupted O.S. which takes only about 35 minutes to re-install from scratch has never made any sense to me. Is there a driver problem? Well, there's almost always a driver problem in these cases, but we don't know anything about the system, or whether a recovery disc/folder is available.

How did the O.S. get corrupted in the first place? Were components actually moved out of the resident O.S. during the copy attempt. It should be a simple matter to copy the future "current" O.S. (W/ driver database) to C, then copy to CD, for use as a current-version re-install, but it sounds like something else was done which caused damage.

The worst case/best case scenario seem to be the same thing here. You fix the hardware problem, go back to square one, and try again.

Collapse -
Also agreed, but ...
by Kees Bakker / March 28, 2005 6:58 PM PST
In reply to: agreed, but ....

when I wrote "have it fixed" I meant the machine, not the drive. Broken drives should be replaced indeed. Quite right.

Assuming the full old Windows folder has safely been burned to CD, it should be possible to restore that. That's easier than reinstalling all windows update patches, all drivers and all applications from scratch, as must be done normally after a fresh install. It can even be done in two ways:
1. Install a default basic Windows 98. Then use Explorer to copy the old windows from CD to a new folder and do some renames after booting in MSDOS.
2. Use xcopy (might have to be put on the boot diskette first) with the right switches to copy the saved folder to the hard disk.

A format (causing loss of data in all other folders) isn't necessary whatever you do. That's one advantage of removing only the Windows folder.

Kees

Collapse -
it's an old laptop
by doug1 / March 29, 2005 6:11 AM PST
In reply to: No.

with a pentium 1 on it. If I can find a cheap external floppy drive I might just be able to to do it...or I should just buy another one

Collapse -
by stormfords / July 18, 2005 10:07 AM PDT

new hard drive u will spend less time tring 2 fix it tant way cost ya 100 if that

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.