Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I cooked up a pot of oats this morning...

.... and discovered a whole new flavor.

I call it "Campfire Oatmeal". The ads will say stuff like:

"It will remind you of those open campfires in the woods, when you were one with nature!"

"No artificial additives or flavorings. Nothing except plain oats, kissed with an all natural smoky flavor."

"Perk up your mornings with an all new taste treat!"

Scorching those oats may have been a serendipitous event. I just tossed in a dollop of real butter and a little sugar, and had my fill.:-)

Angeline
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cooked up a pot of oats this morning...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cooked up a pot of oats this morning...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nuke 'em instead...

In reply to: I cooked up a pot of oats this morning...

Angeline, oatmeal is a snap to make in the microwave. The usual proportions of oats and water in a 1 qt. Corning measuring "cup." It has a tendency to foam over the edge of a bowl, so the tall straight sides of the glass measuring cup keep it all in where it is supposed to be (the 2-cup size doesn't seem to be tall enough...) 3-4 minutes cooking and a couple of minutes more to rest and completely absorb the water. Basically, I put it in the mic, hit the "Add Minute" button three times, and go away to do something else for 5-6 minutes. It's ready to eat when I come back. What's more, you don't get the bottom layer of glued-on oats that requires a sandblaster to clean the cookpot...

dw

Collapse -
Re: Nuke 'em instead...

In reply to: Nuke 'em instead...

Re: the "foaming over the edge of the bowl"- been there, done that. ;-(

I don't have a quart-sized measuring cup. I did learn to use the 3 qt. Corningware casserole instead of a smaller size. (Cleaning the microwave from oatmeal overflow isn't fun, either.) Happy

I'm not sure why I started the stove-top route most of the time. I think it is because I cook up so much at one time - for about 3 hearty breakfasts. (3 cups oats, 5 cups water) Also, I like the steel-cut style on occasion, which requires an overnight soak and slow cooking the next morning.

I appreciate your tips! Thanks!

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: Nuke 'em instead...

In reply to: Re: Nuke 'em instead...

yeah, I've tried a casserole dish, but the oatmeal overflowed it too. Tall straight sides seems to be the trick. Perhaps, does your mixer have a glass bowl you could use?

My wife likes hers cooked in SoyMilk rather than water, and that also requires an overnight soak. I've tried the steel-cut, but didn't like the texture - maybe I didn't overnight soak them... have to try that.

Butter in it is tasty, as is some brown sugar or a dollop of maple syrup...

dw

Collapse -
Re; mixing bowl

In reply to: Re: Nuke 'em instead...

Yep- I have 2 sizes for use with a stand mixer. (From my old one. The new one has a stainless steel bowl, which would be a no-no in the microwave.)

I like oats with about any sort of toppings. You reminded me- I have some good maple syrup.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: Re; mixing bowl

In reply to: Re; mixing bowl

Ah, good. Try the big one for your hearty size batch. An underlying design requirement for any stand mixer is that the shape of the bowl must keep the batter inside while the beaters froth it around. Same principal should be helpful with the oatmeal foaming up while it cooks.

dw

Collapse -
Just a thought, ****...

In reply to: Nuke 'em instead...

Just a thought, ****. I'm not fond of oatmeal, but I'm fond of something else that I "Nuke" and that can sometimes cause a sticking problem, Idahoan potato flakes. I take the bowl, put in the water and a shot of butter, and "Nuke" the butter/water. When it boils (the butter is melted in the process, obviously) I take the bowl out and stir in the potato flakes. No sticking, so clean up of the bowl is quite easy.

Collapse -
j...

In reply to: Just a thought, Dick...

yup, I've done that too. Oatmeal, and rice too, have the characteristic of needing a certain length of time in the boiling liquid while heat is maintained for the grain to open up and absorb the water. Thus you have to leave it on the stove or in the mic. It's sort of odd because the conventional wisdom is that everything cooks faster in the mic, but rice and oatmeal take exactly the same length of time either on the stove or in the mic... But clean up of the mic version is so much easier.

dw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: ummm ummm good !!!

Collapse -
Re: I cooked up a pot of oats this morning...

I'll have to try that Angeline. Sounds real good. I love Oatmeal with toast and jelly.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I made "campfire rice" not too long ago.

Collapse -
As Bob Ross (The Joy of Painting) on PBS says..

In reply to: (NT) I made "campfire rice" not too long ago.

Collapse -
Re: (NT) I made

In reply to: (NT) I made "campfire rice" not too long ago.

Is that rice pudding Josh? A little dash of Rum in there perks it up real nice. I'm not kidding, makes it tasty. To me anyway.

George

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.