Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

I cant access mcafee.com, microsoft.com, or hotmail.com

by greg150 / January 4, 2005 11:34 PM PST

i recently came home from the holidays. I turned on my pc and my firewall had expired so was my virus scanned which were both from mcafee. I attempted to bring up mcafee.com via mozilla, but it didnt work so i tried internet explorer that also didnt work. then i tried to update my computer and also tried to check my email i could not get through. i could to surf to other site except those. i restarted and had the same problem. So i uninstall both the firewall and the viruscan and download norton virus scan and firewall... i tried to connect to all the sites stated above but had the same problem after couple day the norton expired and now im using just the windows firewall and avg virusscanner.

I tried to connect to that trendmicro housecall site but it also would not let me go to there...i can go to most website except certain av sites and certain mail
site like hotmail.com.

would really appreciate the assistance..thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cant access mcafee.com, microsoft.com, or hotmail.com
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cant access mcafee.com, microsoft.com, or hotmail.com
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Greg, Some Steps To Take
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2005 12:21 AM PST

Make sure to completely uninstall the McAfee and Norton software..Next, give us the operating system that you are using.

Next, check your "HOSTS" file for the websites that you have listed. Do a search on your computer for a file named "HOSTS" (without the quotes and it will NOT have a file extension.) You may find other files with HOSTS in their name, like Hosts.sam, or something similar. The one in question in simply named "HOSTS". If it's there, open it using Notepad, then check for "McAfee.com", etc. If they are there, then save the changes and close the file. Try accessing those sites again.

Next, download the McAfee Stinger tool from the link below to your desktop. Once it's there, run it and see if it detects any viruses:

McAfee Stinger
http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/

If you still come up clean, please download, install, update, then run the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
I did what you said
by greg150 / January 5, 2005 7:39 AM PST

well i did what you said...heres what i saw in the host file

# Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

127.0.0.1 localhost

then i ran the stinger and i found nothing...i already had the programs you suggested i just updated them...spybot and shredder said that they were clean but adware found something called alexa from my recollection i think i had that one before but had no trouble with it. so i deleted it and rebooted
i tried to access mcafee.com or microsoft but still didnt get through...
thanks for the advice...have anymore

Collapse -
Greg, Just Some Thoughts...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 5, 2005 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: I did what you said

The HOSTS file version you have shown is the "sample" HOSTS file and doesn't appear to be a problem.

Which version of XP are you using? SP1 or SP2?

Which type of internet connection are you using? Dial-up or broadband?

And just because there were some recent problems, are you using Comcast cable?

Please click the links below and install them.

First, download and install the newest Windows Scripting host for your machine:

Windows Script 5.6 for Windows 2000 and XP

Next, download and run the LSP fix tool from the link below:

Repairs Winsock 2 settings caused by buggy software or improperly removed internet software:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Its me again
by greg150 / January 5, 2005 11:16 AM PST

well i said previous or first message i cant access any microsoft site...i click on the link and a new page came up but it was just sitting there you could see that it was trying to load but something seem to be preventing it. im going to try that second link that works and download that program ill post what happens in the morning

thanks again

Collapse -
Update on use of the second link program
by greg150 / January 5, 2005 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Its me again

this is what i see and what i did
i click on the box that said i dont know what im doing and click finish and this was the result
0 namespace provider entries removed
0 namespace provider entries renumbered
0 protocol provider entries remove
0 protocol provider entries renumbered

Collapse -
cant access mcafee,, microsoft or hotmail
by ckssandtwin / February 13, 2005 12:08 AM PST

if you have windows xp and using dsl then go into
control panel , network connections, click on your
network icon and click on open. on the advanced
tab uncheck " protect my computer" and then click
ok (this removes the microsoft firewall) then
try to go online to mcafee to renew your subscription
and then try your hotmail.
after that is done, go back and put a check mark
back into microsoft firewall. (it is a double protection with mcafee firewall)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?