Samsung forum

Question

I cannot seem to get Allshare working.

by jgarfield / June 22, 2011 2:16 AM PDT

I have a new UN40D6420UF connected successfully in my wireless home network. Via AllShare on the TV, I can see all my media files. When selecting a picture (for example) I get the message 'format not compatible'. Why? On the PC side within Allshare, I am unable to add a playlist of any kind. I was able to add a Library which took 3 hours + of "updating" . What is going on? Allshare set up proceeded normally per the instructions with no problem. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I cannot seem to get Allshare working.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I cannot seem to get Allshare working.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
The format issue
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 22, 2011 7:11 AM PDT

Is sadly well discussed. In short, yes we can go back to the manual and talk about encoding but let's sum it all up to something simple like "encode content in what works." I think some want longer answers and while I'm pretty good at transcoding I do not have access to all models to see what works.

Let me share that I use HANDBRAKE and Virtual Dub for such work.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Replace AllShare with another server - suggest Twonky
by aldbus01 / November 21, 2011 10:44 AM PST

I have installed AllShare on an XP desktop and on two boots (2 copies of Vista) on my laptop. It took over 24 hours to update about 50,000 slides. Now every time I boot my laptop, it takes 50% of the cpu time and updates for hours. I think after a day or so, it quits. I have installed Twonky on my Desktop, and it works marvelously. It takes a few minutes to attach about 100,000 jpegs, and is very quiet in the background. I get format not compatible with both Allshare and Twonky. It seems that my new 1.5 TB WD drive has delayed write failures. This is an XP operating system error and should be correctable by disabling the system cache under the disk drive properties. (Except the choice is greyed out - I am working on this.) As soon as I get this delayed write failure (XP op system is buffering the write and has used up page memory) I see formating errors while trying to look at slideshows on a UN46D6050. I am still learning and trying to understant DLNA, especially TWONKY with its many capabilities. This forum lists many other servers in addition to AllShare. I have seen the same problems as you with AllShare, but if you wait long enough, AllShare will attach folders, etc (you need to use privileges). Samsung help was unable to help, but after many days of long hours talking to them, I was able to teach them what I knew.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!