Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I can't save as a .jpeg or a .gif why is this?can i fix it?

by tigereyes / December 31, 2004 6:49 AM PST

I like to draw pictures on paint...normally I can save them as a .jpeg or .gif, but our old computer virus detector(a mcaffe virus scanner)broke and we had to restart the entire computer...now i can't save any of my pictures from Paint as a .jpeg or a .gif...only as a bitmap! why is this and can anyone help me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't save as a .jpeg or a .gif why is this?can i fix it?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't save as a .jpeg or a .gif why is this?can i fix it?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Hint: Clear the Internet Cache.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 6:57 AM PST
Collapse -
Bigger Hint: It's another Internet Explorer BUG!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2004 6:58 AM PST

Please use Firefox.

Bob

Collapse -
Actually Bob, this one has nothing to do with MSIE
by Edward ODaniel / January 1, 2005 2:42 AM PST

It is well documented and is simply because the JPEG and GIF filters do not come with just the OS--they are a part of the shared files of Microsoft Office.

Collapse -
Odd...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2005 3:01 AM PST

I can cause this to fail by letting the Temporary Internet Files cache to fill. And fix it by emptying the TIF cache. There's even a Microsoft article about this on IE.

The stock Windows ME install does install JPEG support, even in MSPAINT. But registry cleaners and even uninstalling some software can break MSPAINT's JPEG support.

It doesn't matter as long as the person gets it fixed.

Bob

Collapse -
Try this
by hounta / December 31, 2004 7:11 AM PST

Save the file as bitmap, lets say you named it xxx
Open that file using Paint, click Start/Programs/Accessories/Paint when Paint opens click File on top then open and look for xxx then click the file open, then click File again and click Save as
This time see if you can save that as jpeg.
The next time you use Paint the (Save as type) window should work.

Collapse -
Sounds like you did not reinstall...
by Edward ODaniel / January 1, 2005 2:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Thanks, Ed...
by C_squared / January 29, 2005 12:29 PM PST

Thanks, Ed. That fixed my problem. I had recently formatted and started over again. Installed Office, but didn't install graphics filters. I now have my "save as" and a choice of graphics file types back again. Boy, how I had missed them!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!