Computer Help forum

General discussion

i can't hear ne sound

i have recently had a problem w/ my sound hardware... i accidentally deleted it ^_^' i installed a new program instructed by a moderator on this site called vinyl ac'97 audio and it seems to b playing my sound just fine...only one problem.... i can't hear a sound from my speakers. i have done everything that help and support asked me to do to get my sound back up and running but nothing seems to b working. everything seems to b fine but i cant hear nething. i really need help on this. please help me! ! ! !
thank u 4 ur time,
~*~ Myobi ~*~

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i can't hear ne sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i can't hear ne sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Lets double check our trouble shooting steps;

In reply to: i can't hear ne sound

Right mouse click on the speaker icon on the task bar. Make sure the are no check marks on "mute". Set volume control about half way and balance in the middle. Plug the speaker cable to the green connector (or speaker output). Tune on speaker and set set volume to 1/4 way. Any luck?

Collapse -
TT_TT

In reply to: Lets double check our trouble shooting steps;

no it didn't work either... it still seems to b playing but i can't hear a thing.... not even the usual static when i crank up my speakers all the way XD

Collapse -
A Little Confused Here..

In reply to: TT_TT

In your first post, you said: "it seems to b playing my sound just fine"

And in your second post, you said: "but i can't hear a thing"

My question is: How do you know that it's playing sound just fine??

And one more troubleshooting step.. Open the Control Panel-Sounds and Audio Devices-Volume tab-Speaker Settings section-Advanced button. In the Speakers tab, make sure it says: "Desktop Stereo Speakers" if that's the type of speakers you're using..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
lol im sorry

In reply to: A Little Confused Here..

i meant that it seems to b working fine because i can c sound being played but i can't hear ne sound. i tried what u suggested but i still can't hear nething. thx neways

Collapse -
OK Then.. We'll Need More Specifics About The Computer..

In reply to: lol im sorry

I've read some of your previous posts about the computer but I still haven't found a brand name, etc. Is the machine using Windows XP? And do you have "Recovery discs" that may have come with the computer?

In the meantime, place try completely removing the sound device from Device Manager, then restarting the computer.. From your previous discussion, it appears like you know where the sound device driver is listed but follow the instructions below to remove the sound device.

RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties", then select the "Hardware" tab, then the "Device Manager" button. When the opens, click on the + sign next to "Sound, Video, and Game Controllers".. You should now be able to see the "AC '97" device that you mentioned in your other discussion. RIGHT click on that device only, choose "Uninstall" and follow the prompts to uninstall that audio device.. Now restart the computer. Upon restart, wait for a little while and hopefully Windows will correctly recognize the device (Windows has found new hardware) and install the drivers you've installed previously.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
nah. . . .

i tried it and it didnt help... i had to install the program again myself. i can't tell u what kind of programs i have 4 my comp such as windows xp and stuff... im that useless when it comes to computers -_______- if u could tell me how to get that info id b most grateful

Collapse -
RIGHT Click 'My Computer'...

In reply to: nah. . . .

..choose "Properties". Brand name, model number, RAM and operating system are usually there.. As to the brand name and model number, look at the front of the computer. Certainly, if you can find the "Device Manager", you can find these other simple things.. Cause.. if you can't find such information about your own computer, we can't provide effect suggestions either.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
My assumption at this point is...

In reply to: lol im sorry

the speakers are bad or the connection are bad. If you have an earphones, plug that in instead of the speaker. If that doesn't work then I hope your computer has a spare pci slot available (nice thing about sound card is some are pretty inexpensive).

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.