Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

I can't get my computer to detect my used hard drive

by chrismorey21683 / October 25, 2008 5:01 AM PDT

i have a used hard drive that a friend of mine gave me.Its a maxtor 80gig and i really need the extra storage but when i installed it my pc "sony vio" won't show it in my computer.i have been trying to get this to work for weeks now and i think i have the jumpers and cables set up right. Is there a setting in bios or somthing that i need to change in order for my comp to see its there, or do i need to format it?Please help!!!running out of storage!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't get my computer to detect my used hard drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't get my computer to detect my used hard drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What type and how is it connected?
by Steven Haninger / October 25, 2008 5:36 AM PDT

SATA or IDE (PATA). Let's guess IDE. If so, and you connect to the same cable as your primary drive, you either have to set one to master and the other to slave or just set both to cable select as long as you're using an 80 conductor cable. As well, you can interrupt the POST and see if it is detected in the BIOS. If it is but Windows Explorer doesn't see it, this usually means it doesn't have a recognized partition. In this case, you go to disk management (through control panel/Administrative tools/computer management) and find the drive there. If you see it, you need to partition and format the drive. Once this is done and it has a drive letter, Explorer will see it. Good luck.

Collapse -
thanks for the speedy response!
by chrismorey21683 / October 25, 2008 5:50 AM PDT

it is an ide drive and i have the hdd whit the os connected to the second connector on the ribbon cable and jumper set on cable select, the used drive set too slave on the first connector of the ribbon cable. i am going to try formatting it like you explaned because it is not seen in bios when i boot it. if that does not work, is there a setting in bios i have to make in order for it to be recognised?

Collapse -
no luck
by chrismorey21683 / October 25, 2008 6:04 AM PDT

that didn't work. in fact it doesnt show the drives at all on that screen or in bios im going to try setting the both on channel select and see what happens

Collapse -
With drives set as CABLE SELECT, all drives on that cable
by VAPCMD / October 25, 2008 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: no luck

must be set to CABLE SELECT.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Remove AOL message Real play not installed
by Joegreengreenjo / October 30, 2008 3:56 AM PDT

Hi All
Just came across this forum. I think that it will be very helpful to me. I see much helpful onfo on the site. Thanks to all.
Problem:
I uninstalled Real Player from AOL. Now when I attempt to sign on,a popup appears and states realplay not installed. Do you want to install it now [yes] [no]. I have to click on [no] to sign in. Is there anyway to circumvent this popup??
BD

Collapse -
Remove aol message real play not installed
by Joegreengreenjo / October 30, 2008 4:08 AM PDT

Hi
I realize that I have posted my question in the wrong place. Please disregard my post. Will repost properly. Please excusr me.BD

Collapse -
Setting up a second hard drive
by Joegreengreenjo / October 30, 2008 4:20 AM PDT
In reply to: no luck

Hi:
I hope I have posted this note in te correct place. Concerning viewing a second hard drive. I tried connecting one I found at a Goodwill store, to the second connector on the master drive cable. no luck. So I connected it to the second connector on my cd/dvd player as a slave and I was able to see all the files on the new drive. then I was able to use it as is deleting the files there or I guess I could format it and install an operating system. hope this works.
Computer is an old dell with win98.

Ben

Collapse -
What OS?
by Willy / October 30, 2008 7:50 AM PDT

I want to be clear as a bell with the instructions. You want to deal with the old but new to you HD, right. Then install it alone on the cabling you currently have and be sure its jumpered just like your old HD. I certainly hope you didn't want any files from that HD as you say, your friend gave it to you. If so, don't want files and pgms. etc., then be sure your bios boots from the CD 1st, place your OS CD there and allow it to acknowledge it or see the HD. If it does, then your HD is OK. You can now either exit out of the setup or simply shutdown. Return the system back to the way it was and place old new HD into system. The cable MUST be a 40-pin and 80-wire type in order to use CS/cable select if not then master/slave setup for 40-pin/40-wire. Now be sure under master/slave setup that you set both drives accordingly because in some cases, the jumpering is required not only for master/slave but also "dual/single" drive setup as well, this may require yet another jumper.

Since, you have a win98 system, then deal with it alone and format and setup for use. Once done, then install it for use in system as a blank but ready HD. Unless, you wanted use in an XP system, I'm going from you last post probable win98 install.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.