Computer Help forum

Question

I can't get Aero 3d to work . I am using "Windows 7 premium.

by tempojjj / June 25, 2012 9:13 PM PDT

I have the icon and also tried the windows key + tab.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't get Aero 3d to work . I am using "Windows 7 premium.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't get Aero 3d to work . I am using "Windows 7 premium.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Aero
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 9:23 PM PDT

Has it ever worked on this machine?

Aero is available in the following Windows 7 versions;

Windows 7 Enterprise
Windows 7 Home Premium
Windows 7 Professional
Windows 7 Ultimate

Aero is not included in Windows 7 Home Basic or Windows 7 Starter. You can find out which edition of Windows 7 you have on your computer by opening System in Control Panel.

Aero hardware requirements

Your computer's hardware and video card must meet hardware requirements to able to display Aero graphics. Check that your computer meets the minimum hardware requirements for running Aero:

1-gigahertz (GHz) 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
1 gigabyte (GB) of random access memory (RAM)
128-megabyte (MB) graphics card

Aero also requires a DirectX 9 class graphics processor that supports a Windows Display Driver Model Driver, Pixel Shader 2.0 in hardware, and 32 bits per pixel.

For best results, you might also want to follow these graphics processor recommendations:

64 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution that is less than 1,310,720 pixels (for example, a 17-inch flat panel LCD monitor that has a 1280 x 1024 resolution)

128 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution from 1,310,720 to 2,304,000 pixels (for example, a 21.1-inch flat panel LCD monitor that has up to a 1600 x 1200 resolution)

256 MB of graphics memory to support a single monitor with a resolution greater than 2,304,000 pixels (for example, a 30-inch wide-screen flat panel LCD monitor that has up to a 2560 x 1600 resolution)

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) This is a high-end computer and it def meets those specs
by tempojjj / June 26, 2012 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Aero
Collapse -
Given the details so far.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 26, 2012 2:03 PM PDT

All I can offer is the usual. Folk that install Windows but didn't know we still have to find and install drivers.

There's also a bug in the setup of Windows so google this -> Windows 7 enable Aero.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
(NT) What icon do you have?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 25, 2012 9:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Windows switcher icon
by tempojjj / June 27, 2012 10:11 PM PDT
In reply to: What icon do you have?
Collapse -
That seems to be carried over from Vista.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 27, 2012 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows switcher icon

- How did it come on your machine? It isn't on mine.
- Do other Aero functions work (like glass)?
- Did it ever work in W7 on this machine? If so, what changed?

Kees

Collapse -
Does this help?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 28, 2012 6:34 AM PDT

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!