Samsung forum

Question

I can't enable Dolby Digital Sound

by erJotas / January 27, 2012 6:03 PM PST

I have a Samsung 32UED5500 and I can't enable dolby digital on sound menu. My setup is: HTPC connected by hdmi to TV and from TV to home cinema by optical cable. But on the menu I can select only PCM sound not raw, and neither Dolby digital, only stereo. What is wrong? Cable? TV? Home cinema?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't enable Dolby Digital Sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't enable Dolby Digital Sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
enable Dolby Digital pass through
by 26840799817664871989133451005989 / May 27, 2016 3:14 PM PDT

I have a LG 55UH6150 and trying to solve the HDMI Pass through issues as well to my receiver. I went into the service menu and changed PCM to AC3 but no luck

Collapse -
This has been kicked around for many years.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2016 3:29 PM PDT

Nothing new to report. It appears the industry is hard on course for this to be strictly something you use for receivers. Just in case you need a recap. Hookup like this.

Source to receiver, receiver passes video to TV.

Collapse -
Clarification Request
I same issue
by Liambambam / August 23, 2016 5:40 PM PDT

I have the same problem. Have you foind it out yet?

Collapse -
Yup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2016 5:46 PM PDT
In reply to: I same issue

I just went over it with a buddy. We rewired the setup like this:

Source to receiver, receiver passes video to TV.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
TV's don't output Dolby Digital sound from external sources
by Firepig58 / January 27, 2012 9:55 PM PST

TV's don't output Dolby Digital sound from external HDMI sources. It's part of the HDMI standard, I believe. It's also a right nuisance. A TV can output digital sound from its internal tuner but not from an HDMI input. So connect your source direct to the home theatre.

Collapse -
neither from digital output?
by erJotas / January 28, 2012 1:57 AM PST

Thanks for de answer, but, why can't I enable raw sound on the tv? the manual says the the Dolby digital can be enable when you connect the tv to an external home theatre by an optical cable, and this is my case.

Collapse -
See first reply
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2012 3:48 AM PST

Again, all content steps back to stereo with only one exception. (OTA)

Connect to the home theater FIRST and then pass thru HDMI to the HDTV.

-> Many folk lose months trying to fix HDMI restrictions. Firepig is right about the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Tuner only
by Firepig58 / January 28, 2012 4:45 PM PST

The TV can output Dolby Digital, but only from its internal tuner and not from an HDMI source. So far as I know that is true of all current TVs. It's very annoying and it makes it hard to deal with all sorts of issues but it is the case.

Collapse -
Answer
You can active dolby when you use the MEDIA Player
by Tonton_PC / August 26, 2012 9:59 PM PDT

5.1 Input and DOLBY activated when you use the Media Player function

When i connect the Samsung Media Player to my media server via the LAN, i can select and active the DOLBY.
So I get the 5.1 signal on my Home Cinema via the optical cable.

The TV can output Dolby Digital via the media player Wink

Collapse -
What is the Samsung Media Player?
by resanders1968 / August 30, 2013 12:12 PM PDT

Hi,

I'm having the same issue with my UN46D6420 TV where I can't select Dolby Digital in the sound settings. What is the Samsung Media Player? Where did you get it and how is it connected to your TV?

Thank you,

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
dolby digital
by fastrover / September 1, 2013 10:53 AM PDT

Hi from what i've read they don't support pass through for dolby digital from other sources through hdmi to opical only from built in tuner. Only solution is to connect sound directly to sound system. Crazy but true.

Collapse -
Answer
Dolby Digital via Optical
by MaddogUK74 / March 26, 2016 1:52 AM PDT

I've just had my new SKY Q system installed and I can now get Dolby Digital from my Samsung TV to my SONOS soundbar. Previously this was not possible and would only allow stereo.

Setting Dolby on the SKY Q box + in MENU>SOUND>ADDITIONAL SETTINGS>SPDIF OUTPUT it now let me change this to Dolby Digital where previously this was PCM.

Surround sound now amazing!

Collapse -
Rediculous
by niles300z / October 10, 2016 1:45 PM PDT

So, in that case a roku stick for my tv is useless as I would expect it to pass dolby digital to the tv and then I can output dolby digital to an old amp I have via toslink. But it appears you are correct. Nothing is working. Things really should be easier or less proprietary or political. Maybe someone will construct a free source multichannel alternative so I don't have to listen to music shows in simple stereo at this late date.

Collapse -
This old post is outdated. Here's that thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 10, 2016 1:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Rediculous
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?