Computer Help forum

General discussion

I can't connect to internet using my wireless connection

Hi everyone,
Since yesterday (9th July 2008), my Fujitsu Lifebook P1620 (running Windows XP Tablet edition) and my Sony Vaio UX (running Windows XP Pro) have not been able to connect to the internet using the wireless connection I have at home. They both show that they are connected in the system tray notification area, the 'Connect to a wireless network' dialog box shows the network as connected and are always assigned ip addresses from the correct range. They can also connect (wirelessly) to the Hughes modem interface at 192.168.1.1. My Sony Vaio TX5MN (running Windows Vista Business) is connecting to the internet via the same connection with no hassles. What could the problem be?

Thank you very much in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can't connect to internet using my wireless connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can't connect to internet using my wireless connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I do have ZoneAlarm...

In reply to: And do you have Zone Alarm?

Hello,
I do have ZoneAlarm but a System Restore didn't fix the problem. Should I set ZoneAlarm to medium, remove it completely or remove the Windows update (if I have it)?

Collapse -
Yes.

In reply to: I do have ZoneAlarm...

Not to duplicate all the thousands of posts on this but please do one of those things.

Collapse -
Re:Yes

In reply to: Yes.

Thank you so much, I've set the ZoneAlarm to medium. I'll remove it and look for an alternative. Thanks again.
Cheers.

Collapse -
An Updated/New Version Of ZA Fixes This One..

In reply to: I do have ZoneAlarm...

Collapse -
Set ZA to medium...

In reply to: An Updated/New Version Of ZA Fixes This One..

Hello, thank you for the link, I'm checking it out now. Have a nice day.

Collapse -
wireless connection problem

In reply to: I can't connect to internet using my wireless connection

I have a Dell laptop (vostro 1000) using windows xp. I have a similar problem with my verizon wireless connection. The problem started two days ago when i automatically updated MS security. I unfortunately do not know how to solve the problem, but this may help narrow down the problem. Every time I removed the latest MS security update....my connection works. Every time my computer automatically updated...the connection stop. When signing on with verizon, it did take longer than usual, but it eventually appeared to be connected. It also automatically tried to open a Verizon webpage, but could not. Every attempt to open a browser and surf the web failed. I have turned off the Automatic security update and removed the latest update, but i would like to know what the conflict is with the latest update that prevents me from accessing the internet.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.