General discussion

I Can't Connect to any Windows Live Service

I connect to the internet through a proxy but even when that is configured in the programs, it can't connect. They are all allowed through the firewall, I've tried using ZoneAlarm instead to no avail.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I Can't Connect to any Windows Live Service
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I Can't Connect to any Windows Live Service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: Windows Live

- Why the proxy?
- What do you mean with "even when that is configured in the programs"? What programs, and how do you configure a proxy in those?
- What happens without proxy?
- What exactly does "can't connect" mean? What happens if you go to www.live.com in IE?

Kees

- Collapse -
Re: Kees

- I am connecting through a university's network.

- Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology. When I open Messenger, I go to Options -> Connection -> Advanced Settings, and enter in my username and password for the HTTP proxy server.

- Normally without proxy i can't browse the internet, not even in IE.

- I have IE9 beta which has been quite problematic in itself (opens every URL as a google search), but I connect easily with the proxy in other browsers.

- Collapse -
(NT) Going back to IE8 would solve the problem?
- Collapse -
Check with your IT department...

Some universities block certain types of internet traffic, including instant messengers, torrent clients, P2P applications, etc. It's odd that all traffic must travel through a proxy, but that may explain why Windows Live Messenger fails to connect.

Perhaps a web-based alternative, such as that from Trillian or Meebo, both of which let you login to an existing WLM account, would bridge the gap?

John

CNET Forums

Forum Info