Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

I can now only access the internet with my eudora, internet

I use zone alarm free. I use verizon dsl.

I can now only access the internet with my eudora, internet explorer, and firefox when I drop my zone alarm firewall setting to medium. Why ever would that have changed?? Last week I could cruise around with the setting at high.
roy

System Security Status CIS Benchmark Score

Microsoft Security Updates
Up-to-date
Computer Profile Summary
Computer Name: Home (in MSHOME) ? roy and arden
Profile Date: Sunday, July 13, 2008 6:35:39 AM
Advisor Version: 7.2x
Operating System System Model
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 3 (build 2600) Enclosure Type: Desktop
Processor a Main Circuit Board b
2.40 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4
8 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: First International Computer, Inc. VC19 PCB 1.x
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 09/26/2002
Drives Memory Modules c,d
340.30 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
68.62 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B [CD-ROM drive]
Memorex 52MAXX 2452AJ [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Maxtor 6L100P0 [Hard drive] (100.26 GB) -- drive 2, s/n L207NW5H, rev BAH41G10, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD1600JB-00EVA0 [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1, s/n WD-WMAEK2859669, rev 15.05R15, SMART Status: Healthy
WDC WD800BB-00CAA1 [Hard drive] (80.03 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WMA8E4969355, rev 17.07W17, SMART Status: Healthy 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'DIMM1' has 512 MB
Slot 'DIMM2' has 512 MB
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 2) 100.25 GB 10.59 GB free
f: (NTFS on drive 0) 80.02 GB 7.68 GB free
g: (NTFS on drive 1) 4.85 GB 4.44 GB free
h: (NTFS on drive 1) 155.19 GB 45.91 GB free

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I can now only access the internet with my eudora, internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I can now only access the internet with my eudora, internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See if this information helps

In reply to: I can now only access the internet with my eudora, internet

Collapse -
(NT) NT Markflax-Can you delete this thread?

In reply to: See if this information helps

Collapse -
Yes, but why?

In reply to: NT Markflax-Can you delete this thread?

May I ask?

We don't delete threads lightly because other visitors may find any advice useful.

Can you say why you want it deleted? And did that link I gave help you at all?

Regards.

Mark

Collapse -
I thought that the question had been asked and answered befo

In reply to: Yes, but why?

I didn't want to clutter the forum

Collapse -
That's OK, it's not clutter

In reply to: I thought that the question had been asked and answered befo

Did the other information help? You didn't say....

Mark

Collapse -
Solving your problem

Like a lot of us you found out when you got the latest windows download that it killed your internet access.

The download number is KB951748. Go to your add/remove program and delete this file. IF you are registered with ZoneAlarm, you would have received their email regarding this.

Go too their web site if you need more info.

Collapse -
Nope, Not Necessary To Remove The KB951748 Update

In reply to: Solving your problem

Collapse -
Nope, Not Necessary To Remove The KB951748 Update

In reply to: Nope, Not Necessary To Remove The KB951748 Update

You are wrong and right...........there are two (TWO) methods to fix the problem to get rid of the MS hot fix. Otion one is to download and install Zonealarms fix or just simply remove KB951748 with the Add/Remove program. Savy?

Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix

1. Click the "Start Menu"
2. Click "Control Panel", or click "Settings" then "Control Panel"
3. Click on "Add or Remove Programs"
4. On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says "show updates". Select this checkbox
5. Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)"
6. Click "Remove" to uninstall the hotfix

------------ Option 2 is fastest. ------------------

Please make sure you READ all the info on Zonealarms web site b4 saying I am wrong and we do not need to use otion 2 to uninstall the said MS hotfix, KB951748.

Collapse -
Nope, There Are THREE Options To Fix the Problem ...

In reply to: Nope, Not Necessary To Remove The KB951748 Update

Please read the link I provided again..

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

The first remedy is to download and install the new firewall.. After that, you are given TWO separate options which fall under the "or" category:

- or follow the directions below.

Option 1: Move Internet Zone slider to Medium

1. Navigate to the "ZoneAlarm Firewall" panel
2. Click on the "Firewall" tab
3. Move the "Internet Zone" slider to medium

Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix

4. On the top of the add/remove programs dialog box, you should see a checkbox that says "show updates". Select this checkbox
5. Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)"

Unfortunately, although Option 2 is the fastest, it still leaves your computer vulnerable. Yep, it's your choice which one to select..

And yes, I've read a number of articles about the issue including problems with other firewall programs such as Norton's.. Still, in my opinion, the best fix is the first remedy.. Assuming the problem experienced is the result of ZA compatibility with the update, I prefer to install the newest version of ZA and leave the Windows Update installed. Everything is back as it was before INCLUDING an installed update which secures DNS issues.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Internet access

Grif says that new version 7.0.483.000 version of their firewall fixes the issue. I am afraid it does not. I downloaded that version and I cannot access the internet with my preferred setting, which is HIGH. I can only access it using MEDIUM which I really not happy with.

Any help with this problem will be appreciated, especially from Microsoft who created it, apparently.

From

GB12MSA

Collapse -
The @#%^& Zonealarm fix won't work

In reply to: Internet access

Look, why is everyone following Zonealarm's option one to get rid of MS update KB951748. You DON'T need too.

Below is my previous post to get rid of that @#$%^& MS hot fix,

Option 2: Uninstall the hotfix ( A piece of cake).

5. Scroll down until you see "Security update for Windows (KB951748)" OR it will say "Windows XP -- Software Updates."

------------ Option 2 is fastest. ------------------

Please make sure you READ all the info on Zonealarms web site b4 saying I am wrong and we do not need to use otion 2 to uninstall the said MS hotfix, KB951748.

Collapse -
The first option is the PREFERRED option ...

In reply to: The @#%^& Zonealarm fix won't work

and includes re-installing the MS Patch after updating.

The alternate Option 1 which is to move the Internet slider to Medium tetains functionality of the ZoneAlarm products without compromising the MS DNS patch.

It is PREFERRED to do this because the MS patch addresses DNS issues that can allow spoofing and the Zone Alarm products allowed the spoofing until patched.

If your finger is cut and you are swamping a stable, you can apply a bandage (patch) to reduce the risk of infection. This bandage may interfere slightly with the way you prefer to handle the mucking shovel. You have an option of changing the bandage to one that is better formed (updating it) or removing it which will not keep the wound clean. Your choice to remove the bandage (dump the patch) risks infection and possible amputation and is the WORST OPTION.

Get it? Got it? Good.

Collapse -
A Question.. Did You Uninstall The Old Version First??

In reply to: Internet access

Just curious here as I've performed the uninstall and reinstall on about 10 computers here and the new version has fixed the issue on all of them. (All are set as "High" in the "Internet Zone Security" section.) In my case, I do a full uninstall of the old version by opening ZA to the "Overview/Preferences" section, UNCHECK the box to "Load at Startup", then restart the computer which prevents ZA from loading after the restart, then uninstall ZA from "Add/Remove Programs". The computer is restarted again. When that's done, I clean out the C:\Windows\Prefetch folder of all ZA files, I delete the C:\Program Files\Zone Labs folder (if it's still there) and I delete the "C":\Windows\Internet Logs file which is usually still there.

I then reinstall the new 7.0.483.000 version and do NOT let it automatically scan the computer or set it's own options..

And yes, a second option is to simply uninstall the Microsoft update at fault.. Unfortunately, it does leave your computer vulnerable to the DNS issues mentioned in the update.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Zone alarm

In reply to: A Question.. Did You Uninstall The Old Version First??

Thanks. It sounds a little complicated for me, but I will give it a try.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.