Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I bought a Windows 98 CPU which was used in a network

by moscosoee / August 24, 2005 3:19 AM PDT

This computer was used at a business, they upgraded and sold their computers. It's running Windows 98.

When I start the computer up it goes to the login screen. Obviously its not connected to the network anymore. I don't have a password. So when i click on "cancel" I get an error message saying I could not log me in because the network could not verify the password.

My question is...Is there a way to bypass this log in screen? How do I get rid of the logging in? Please help!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I bought a Windows 98 CPU which was used in a network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I bought a Windows 98 CPU which was used in a network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 3:25 AM PDT

Wipe out the drive and do a fresh, clean install of the OS. Now you're ready for your use and not what the company did with them.

Bob

Collapse -
fresh install of the OS...
by moscosoee / August 24, 2005 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Simple.

Ahh man I don't have the disc to reinstall the OS. that's going to be a problem huh.

and say I did have a copy of Win 98. How do i wipe everything out?

Collapse -
Just look below.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2005 7:17 AM PDT

Just down a few discussions, how to install Windows was just discussed at length. Remember that Windows is not a free OS. If you don't have the CD, just ask Microsoft for a new copy.

Bob

Collapse -
You'd better go back to where you bought it.
by Kees Bakker / August 24, 2005 6:01 PM PDT

Obviously, they sold you something that doesn't work. Get a refund or let them fix it.

If you decide to keep the machine as it is, try to buy a full Windows 98 CD (including license) at eBay. Not very expensive.

Kees

Collapse -
safe mode
by Mojo_58 / August 26, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

I would recommend starting the machine in safe mode. Once in safe mode you can remove/change the network client login. It is probably easier and safer to change it to windows login.

Start it in safe mode by pressing F8 when the "Starting Windows" message flashes on the screen (or hold the spacebar down while it is loading). Pick Safe Mode from the menu.

Once in safe mode navigate to the control panel. Start>Settings>Control Panel. In the control panel open the networking properties. In the middle of this window you will see a drop-down box. Select windows family logon or microsoft windows logon. If neither are available you will need to add the "microsoft client for microsoft networks". Click the add button and select client>microsoft>client for microsoft.

If my hunch is correct your machine is setup with a Novell client. This software doesn't uninstall very well. Uninstalling it will probably cause general protection faults.

That should get you going without having to reload. A reload would be better though.

Hope this helped.

Edward Fox

Collapse -
started in safe mode
by moscosoee / September 6, 2005 2:30 AM PDT
In reply to: safe mode

Ok so I started the computer and followed the proceedures from the other post (thanks for the help!).

Here are a couple more questions...

The computer STILL gives me an error about not being able to authenticate the username and password. (Something about the Domain)

I hit cancel and it says some of the networking features will be unavailable.

The computer will start up but the internet won't work. I have it connected to my broadband connection...Any idea what can be the deal now?

Collapse -
Update IP settings
by Mojo_58 / September 19, 2005 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: started in safe mode

You will need to update your IP settings.

If my intuition is correct you are still setup with IPX. What you will need to do is update your network settings a bit.

1. Add TCP/IP protocol
From network settings click the ADD button. Then click protocols. Then click on Microsoft>TCP/IP.

2. Make TCP/IP your default protocol
Once IP has been added you can change some of it's settings. Double-click IP and click the advanced tab. Make sure the "Use as Default Protocol" box has a check in it.

3. Login with Client for Microsoft
Just make sure this is selected as your default login client.

This should get you going provided you have a DHCP server on your network. I'm guessing you have a broadband router on your network.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.