Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I bought a PC with a pirated version of Windows XP...

by barbarahsmith / July 29, 2006 1:27 PM PDT

Hello All,

About a year ago I bought a PC from my brother-in-law. He had provided me with a windows certificate of authenticity. A few months ago, I forget why, I looked at that certificate and I noticed that it was for Windows ME, not XP which is what my PC has installed on this. When I called to ask him about this he said "oh, I thought I told you it was a pirated version." I was really annoyed and told him I would not have bought the PC if I knew it had a pirated version of windows on it, but he sent me a product key for windows xp, and said as long as I had that key everything would be fine.

Then today, I downloaded a microsoft update, and when my computer booted up I got a message saying that I didn't have a genuine version of microsoft windows, and I couldn't get updates.

So what are the consequences about this? Can Microsoft eventually lock me out of windows? Can Microsoft prosecute me? Is my PC more liable to be "hacked?"

What can I do to fix this? I don't have money right now to buy a version of windows, but if I was going to spend that much money I think I would just get a cheap DELL.

I don't have a windows cd or system reinstall for Windows ME. I don't even know if this computer ever had Windows ME, as the PC says it was designed for Windows 2000/Windows 98.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I bought a PC with a pirated version of Windows XP...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I bought a PC with a pirated version of Windows XP...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
you will have to buy a xp cd
by Basket628 / July 29, 2006 1:57 PM PDT

you will have to buy a xp cd and do a reinstall you should be ok.

Collapse -
Instead of reinstallin...
by shahedc / July 29, 2006 2:05 PM PDT

Just change the old priduct key to the new key. The OS is still the same. So long as Windows is running fine, I dont see a reason to reinstall just to change the product key.

Collapse -
But you will need any drivers that are installed saved
by DarCLew2 / July 29, 2006 2:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
what happens if I dont do anything?
by barbarahsmith / July 29, 2006 2:26 PM PDT

But I am not sure what kind of windows was originally installed here. Would I be able to purchase the windows update edition if I have a pirated version, or would I have to buy the full version.

And again, what happens if I don't do anything?

Collapse -
First, no more updates.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 8:37 PM PDT

Even when we pass up WGA, future updates will require it. Patch downloads also ask for it.

You can only use the Upgrade version if you have another qualifying Windows to upgrade from (this pirate version won't do.)

It's sad that so many were taken advantage of like that.

Bob

Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 29, 2006 8:48 PM PDT

It seems to me that your first step is to discuss this again with your brother, and enquire what he intends to do about selling you an illegal product. He may want to refund you the money you paid, so you can purchase the genuine XP CD.

The other alternative is a phone call to Microsoft, but they will want names and addresses before they consider whether they will sell you an XP CD at a discount.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?