Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I bought a new DVD Burner...

Hi everyone,
My current DVD burner finally died and became a DVD ROM basically. So I picked up an LG DVD-RAM burner model GSA-H22L.
This thing can burn DVD's at the speed of 18x (it can also burn the DVD-RAM and has LiteScribe burning too), and suggests to use the provided 80 pin E-IDE cable provided because the standard 40 pin E-IDE would not guarantee the best performance. Now, I do know something about these cables and how to count LOL. The only difference between the new cable and the one already in my computer is flexibility - meaning the new cable is hard to bend and the old one isn't. Plus, I did count the pins on all the connectors and there is the same number.

Question #1 - Does anyone know what is the difference between the two cables??

Now to install the driver for this drive, I have to install the Nero Burning software according to the LG website. (incidentally, the disc provided has this firmware update program & I checked the website and no firmware update is available) I checked the LG website and there is one place for drivers and firmware for DVD-RAM. The site also says that drivers are third party provided and they can't post them on their site. I have used Nero in the past and really don't like it and I am comfortable with the burning software provided with my computer.

Question #2 - Do I really need to worry about a driver for this burner? I just burned a data DVD at 16x which is the fastest speed on that blank DVD and it burned it ok. Their website states that drag in drop driver support is provided with Nero InCD. This tells me that I only need a driver if I want to do drag n drop.

Thanks for your replies.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I bought a new DVD Burner...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I bought a new DVD Burner...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Probably nothing

In reply to: I bought a new DVD Burner...

The answer to your first question, is that there is probably no difference at all. EIDE cables went the way of the dodo around the time the ATA specification came along. Unless your system is circa 1995 or so, you probably have the 80 wire cables they talk about.

And as for drivers... No. Those are supplied by the burning program by and large. I would also strongly advise pretending InCD, and other "CD as a floppy" programs don't exist. They are a never ending source of compatibility and lost data issues. Use them at your data's own peril.

Collapse -
Hey Jackson....

In reply to: Probably nothing

So, no difference in the cables - thanks for confirming that.
Now, on the second answer, I am confused...are you saying to install them for the new drive, or not??

Thanks for the clarification.

Collapse -
Even my antique was buit in 1999, cables have a

In reply to: Hey Jackson....

notch at the top, if missing, look at the end - in the middle there is a missing pin, it is blnk and that is the bottom. If you have the burner on the same cable, make sure you have the correct pin setup in the back CD/DVDrom is the Master and burner is the slave. On 8 different computers, the power has the yellow wire out. If it came with an extra wire that connects on the opposite end from the power & connects to your sound card. Darrell PS-When you install NERO, and you have 6.6.0.14 version, there is an updated version at www.nero.com. Also,on All Programs-NERO is a NERO Toolkit and it has an InfoTool and you can see what each drive can do. Mine says System ASPI, change it to NERO ASPI, click a blank space below and it will stay.

Collapse -
(NT) The NERO sent me said 30 day trial,

In reply to: Even my antique was buit in 1999, cables have a

Collapse -
OK...

In reply to: Even my antique was buit in 1999, cables have a

My computer has the correct cables...I installed the new one last night and was just curious if anyone knew the diff or why LG calls it an 80 pin cable. And you are right Dar, there are actually 39 pins, but it looks like 40.

Maybe one of these days I might install the supplied software and give it a whirl...I do know that I want to do the LiteScribe labeling, I need to install the software to get that function.

I have already checked out the DVD-RAM disks and the price is roughly double the price of a normal DVD. My friend uses DVD-RAM's for his DVD recorder thing that is basically a DVD version of a VCR. I really don't see a need yet for a re-writable DVD as I back up all important files to either CD or DVD and just keep them.

Collapse -
DVD-drives & NERO 7 Ultra Edition..

In reply to: OK...

My PC has two DVD/RW drives..
I use the NERO 7 Ultra Edition and CREATIVE Audigy 2ZS..
CREATIVE give me a CD Burner Update LINK..
and NERO install the DVD-burning software..
As far as I have understood..Windows installs the CD-ROM Drivers..
Windows does NOT support DVD-burning..
Windows Explore allows CD/RW Burning..
I have found the Flat[DATA]Cable to safe to install/
though I do keep any matches of Drives and Cables listed..somewhere..
the New SATA Cable is a small thin cable..mine are RED..
DVD-RAM should be listed in the NERO Info TOOL as ENABLED..or it will show the Media Types used in that DRIVE..

Collapse -
Here's my NERO--InfoTOOL/info

Nero InfoTool 4.2.0.0

Drive Information
------------------
Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GWA4164B
Type : DVD

Collapse -
OK...So is that long posting of info

In reply to: Here's my NERO--InfoTOOL/info

supposed to convince me to install the software that came with my new burner???

That was my original posting ...

Collapse -
40 and 80 conductor cables

This link has a good description of the differences between 40 and 80 conductor cables (with pictures):
http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80.html

I agree with jackson dougless--stay away from packet writing software such as InCD. You will avoid headaches down the road.

If you need a good free CD/DVD burning utility, check out CDBurnerXP Pro. I use it and Nero Ultra for almost all of my disc burning needs.

Collapse -
(NT) I don't use INCD or SHOWTIME-Have Power DVD

In reply to: 40 and 80 conductor cables

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the replies, I uninstalled InCD

In reply to: 40 and 80 conductor cables

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.