Computer Help forum

General discussion

i believe i need to install firmware for my cd to play music

by john-h / June 29, 2004 7:34 PM PDT

my cdrw/dvd will only recognise films ibelieve the firmware for the cd ie music or data has dissapeared iam using win me my cdrw/dvd is asamsung 308b how can iget it to recognise adisk in the drive i cant use my restore cd as it doesnt know there is adisk in the machine i am using a e machine hope u can help john

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: i believe i need to install firmware for my cd to play music
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: i believe i need to install firmware for my cd to play music
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: i believe i need to install firmware for my cd to play m
by Yew / June 29, 2004 10:15 PM PDT

That shouldn't be the case. A DVD-RW drive should be able to read music CDs just fine, and you should virtually never have to update the firmware for a drive.

It sounds more like you might have either a bad IDE controller or a bad IDE cable. Open the case and look for the cable running out of the back of your DVD-RW drive. It should be sort of gray and flat. Trace it to the motherboard and press down on the top of the plastic connector part to make sure it's firmly in place. Then do the same at the drive end.

If that doesn't do anything, try switching the cables between your hard drive and the DVD-RW drive. (They're both the same so don't worry) See if the system will boot in that configuration. If it doesn't, it's probably a bum cable, and you can buy a replacement for a couple of dollars at a Best Buy or whatever. Just tell someone you need an IDE ribbon cable.

If it boots fine, and seems to run fine, but the DVD-RW drive continues to have problems, then it's either a problem with the drive or the controller. It's really kind of hard to test the controller, but if you have a spare system about or know someone who'd be willing to let you use theirs for a brief time, you can test to see if it's the drive by putting it in some other system to see what happens.

Collapse -
Re: i believe i need to install firmware for my cd to play m
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2004 10:22 PM PDT

I've never encountered this issue. ALL CDROMs I've used except for a first generation CD recorder some 10 years ago recognise and play AudioCD.

I'd re-evaluate your issues.

About a drive vanishing from Windows ME. It's rarely (never!) the firmware, but is usually the motherboard drivers or TWEAKUI hiding drive letters or the CDROM has failed.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!