HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

I BEG YOU PLEASE HELP! i am on my KNEES, I BEG YOU HELP ME!

by sectornine / July 3, 2006 2:02 PM PDT

I BEG YOU,, .i'm BEGGING,YOU, please, please i BEG YOU!!!!!
this has been a strange problem with my pc

last week when i turned on my pc, i noticed the desktop is takingalot longer to load than usual, i waited for 5 mins before my desktop is fully booted, the internet connection has slao stopped completely, windows cannot connect to the net at all, even though everything was working fine the last time i had my pc on.

i then checked NORTON antivirus and it reports to me that it is damaged and needs to be reinstalled, i thought maybe a virus has already been damaging my system, so i format my hardrive and reinstall windows, yes i format my hardrive, everything is gone, i reinstall windows and everything was clean.

afterwards, when windows has finished installing, i install norton firewall and antivirus, i then connected to internet and updated everything then restart, after that i continue using my pc like i always do, however....

When i turned on my pc again yesterday, i realized the problem has returned, my desktop is taking 5 mins to boot, windows fail to connect online, i didn't know what i did wrong, i didn't put in any disc with virus or download illegally, i had adaware installed, i don't understand!

in anger i again, format my entire hardrive, FOR THE THIRD TIME, and reinstall everything from the start, i install norton again, and connect to the net, i then starts a online game and leave it unattended for about half a day, when i returned to check on it i noticed the internet has stopped for no reason, i restart my pc, and...well, you know the same problem returns yet again for the third time.

just now i finished formatting my hardrive and reinstall windows, i didn't connect to the internet, and guess what?

everything is fine.

yes, i restart countless times, my desktop didn't boot slowly, there's nothing wrong with my system at all!!! so why am i having that strange problem whenever i connect to the net? dispite the fact that i have full protection from av and fw and adaware?

i'm using windows XP with sp2, my PHONE COMPANY gave me a VOIP modem that provide both phone connection and internet connection via voip connection, i already phone their customer service asking for help but they all said it's my pc's fault and not theirs.

i know for certain it's not my firewall blocking my internet connection and causing problems, i have fully up to date norton antivirus protection, i also know it's not my lan card's fault as i have an new asus motherboard with lan built-in, and i was able to connected to the internet everytime i format my hd and reinstall windows, my SATA hitachi drive is brand new and working fine.

like i said, the moment i connect to the net, and restart my pc a couple of times the desktop would boot slowly and my internet connection would fail, i didn't do anything that could cause all of this, so damn it, what's causing this!?

right now i didn't connect to the internet, and my system is completely fine after alot of restarts, my system is working perfectly without internet, so i know, that the problem must come from my isp, could it be that there's a virus on THEIR MASTER SEVER, whenever paided customers like me connect online to my isp, the virus on their master sever barges to my pc destorying it?

please help, please i beg all of you please help, i don't know what to do, please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I BEG YOU PLEASE HELP! i am on my KNEES, I BEG YOU HELP ME!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I BEG YOU PLEASE HELP! i am on my KNEES, I BEG YOU HELP ME!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One problem might be
by PudgyOne / July 3, 2006 2:20 PM PDT

One problem might be if you are using Norton and Windows Firewalls. Another problem might be Norton.

If I were you, I would reformat, install all updates. Then put a different Virus protection on the computer.

Below are some Virus programs and Spyware removal programs.

As for all people you should have good virus protection. AVG FREE or AVAST are great virus programs

I use Zone Alarm for my firewall. Do NOT use the Windows Firewall. It only protects you from incoming. If you already have something in your computer, it will NOT protect you from outgoing. If you are using Windows ME or earlier, you will need an Older Version of Zone Alarm

Also you need to have measures to stop spyware from getting into your computer. You can get C W Shredder to help remove some and you can also use SPYBOT SEARCH & DESTROY. Another good spyware remover is AD AWARE and one that stops spyware from getting into your computer is SPYWARE BLASTER. Then when all else fails you can get HIJACKTHIS.

If you use all these tools it will not elminate spyware from getting into your computer, but it will help. Some spyware gets into your computer using the Macromedia Flash player. If you feel that you still might have spyware in your computer, then you can go to TREND MICRO to do another online scan.

Hope this helps

Rick

Collapse -
Too add
by PKsteven / July 3, 2006 3:39 PM PDT

to the good advice already given, when did you get internet service through them? Did this start after you got the VOIP modem? Do you use a router? It may be a firewall conflict as many routers have firewalls also. Your ISP may provide a firewall also and may be conflicting. Your NIC card may be having trouble too but it's hard to say. While you gave some good info, you need to tell us when EXACTLY this started, before the modem or after, did you always have this ISP? Norton can cause enough grief on it's own and wouldn't rule that out. The good indication is what you said about it being damaged and it sounds like a conflict, not a virus. I would try as pudgy said but uninstall Norton for now, try the free programs for protection, see how it goes. If you still have these issues then it may very well be something else.

Paul

Collapse -
Try not to cross post,difficult to follow
by tomron / July 3, 2006 9:54 PM PDT

For other posts regarding this issue LINK

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.