Video Games & Consoles forum

General discussion

I am very disappointed in the electronics industry.

I am interested in buying a Nintendo Wii. However, I am afraid to purchase an early model. All video game manufactures have produced flawed models in the past. I am ignoring the minor flaws that are easily fixed like controllers that wear out prematurely. Early Game Cubes had flaws with the optical pickup device and early XBOX 360s had overheating problems. This does not mean that every Game Cube or every XBOX 360 had these problems. However, these problems were not rare with these consoles either. Unlike Microsoft and Nintendo, Sony has had numerous problems with most of their systems. The Playstation had plastic trays that often wore out and caused the console to misread CDs. This problem ruined many Playstations. Sony did not seem to care because the PS2 also had optical drive problems. These early paperweights often had two problems with their optical drives. I just read about the PSP problem on http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-6449_7-6647505-1.html?tag=cnetfd.ld2.
I did not even know about this problem until now. So far Sonly is 0/3 with new consoles. I do not recommend pre-ordering the PS3. Sony has a very checkered past and you do not want a $600 paperweight. However, this problem applies to Nintendo and Microsoft. Electronic companies should not sell untested products and fix problems when they surface. The repair should be completely free and cover shipping and handling. In closing I am not sure if I am going to pre-order a Nintendo Wii. I am not sure what problems the early Wiis will have nor do I want to find out first hand.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am very disappointed in the electronics industry.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am very disappointed in the electronics industry.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry for posting the same message twice.

In reply to: I am very disappointed in the electronics industry.

I did not intend to post the same message twice. I just wanted to fix the small grammar mistake that was bothering me. I did not realize I could not go back and delete the old post.

Collapse -
Nintendo

In reply to: Sorry for posting the same message twice.

I also plan on buying a wii but will probably wait just in case there is a problem with anything. after 2 weeks we will all know if there are any major bugs in the wii, it will be all over the internet. So just wait and see how others think of it, im sure that you will be able to finder a wii somewhere after 2 weeks of launch

Collapse -
Sony = No Buy

In reply to: Nintendo

As the recent Cnet article, I wouldn't buy the PS3 for 100! So much tech crammed into such a tiny..well large space and somethings bound to happen. Even more so with their forced formate, BlueRay.

I still haven't gotten my 360 since I know it runs so hot, Im hoping for a redesign where they take the CPU's down to 65n, without one Im not sure ill ever get it, plus its just as large as the original after all, its curves dont fool me! Happy

Wii, only console I can even imagin getting at launch, and Im going to try.

Collapse -
Xbox 360 IS smaller than Xbox.

In reply to: Sony = No Buy

That's a fact. Don't let the imagination fool you. And its size is a result of the technology inside, like the 3 CPU's, for instance.

Collapse -
Not that sure

In reply to: Nintendo

Assuming the majority of people who are going to buy a Nintendo Wii are Nintendo fans (which is not an erroneous thinking) and given their (sometimes blind) loyalty to Nintendo, I wouldn't be that sure that if there's any problem with it it will be all over Internet 2 weeks after launch, even if, in fact, it has problems...

Collapse -
for new consoles..

When new consoles come out, there is always the possibility of those consoles being faulty, as they havent been played by everyone, and can only be tested to a certain extent in their company.
The main things that go wrong, are overheating issues which both the ps3 and 360 have not sure about the wii.
And also disk read failures which plagued the ps2 and xbox when they first came out.

Best to wait a year before getting the console so that their first couple of batches will be used up, and you get a better improved batch of consoles.

Collapse -
Try a PC then.

Games on a PC are much better, more options, better graphics, better/easier to upgrade.....

Downside.... More money!

Have played both don't think I could ever play consoles.... Sadily PC's (besides the money) just aren't ready for the novice user to be using without knowing how to keep it secure, etc....

kind of a catch 22..... settle for less with a console or get a Pc and the head aches that go with it.

Collapse -
Really?

In reply to: Try a PC then.

Can you play Halo 3, Gears of War, PGR 3, Forza Motorsports, Dead or Alive (etc.) in PC?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.