MacBooks forum

Resolved Question

I am unable to activate my new antivirus from Norton

by Atinetta / November 20, 2011 9:37 AM PST

I am unable to activate the Norton Antivirus12 version 11upgrade for my Mac 10.5.8.(model: MacBookPro 3.1).
I downloaded the 152 MB of the product and the installation was successful.
However when I go to my Norton Account it says INACTIVE. When I try to activate I always get the message: INVALID PRODUCT KEY. And when opening the Norton icon the status says expired since Nov.5 (I bought the new one on 11/17)

Atinetta has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am unable to activate my new antivirus from Norton
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am unable to activate my new antivirus from Norton
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Product Key?
by KenHusveg / November 20, 2011 10:02 AM PST

Are you absolutely sure you typed in the correct product key in your new version of Nortons.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Atinetta

Collapse -
I am unable to activate
by Atinetta / November 20, 2011 12:37 PM PST

I wrote the product number given by Symantec which was: NP117103171. When it didn't work I even tried with the
subscription key that was 25 letters and numbers long (I didn't think it would work and it didn't).

Collapse -
Uninstall it.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 20, 2011 10:52 PM PST

what does it do for you?

Collapse -
I agree
by Jimmy Greystone / November 21, 2011 10:19 PM PST
In reply to: Uninstall it.

I agree. Get rid of it and get a refund since it clearly didn't work for you. Aside from there being no real need for AV programs on a Mac (yet at least), Norton is reigning king of the false-positives. McAfee probably hasn't made any significant changes to their scanning engine since the Windows95 days, so it's a slow and inefficient mess. Sophos is just a joke. Kaspersky has been on a downhill trajectory for at least the past few versions with feature creep becoming a serious issue. So I say dump all of them. They aren't doing you any real good on a Mac (if you're running Windows inside a VM, then Windows should probably have an AV program), so why waste money? If you have whatever it is these places charge for a subscription fee burning a hole in your pocket, I can tell you about the Jimmy Greystone Personal Wellness Prorgram, where all proceeds go to benefit me. You get about the same level of benefit either way, but I'm at least being honest about my intentions, and I'm not cluttering up your system with a bunch of useless software.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.