Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

I am trying to open a web site in win 98 IE6 but not show

Hi,
I am trying to open this website www.senseofbeing.net in a computer running win 98 se with IE 6.0 and does not show the website if i do the same thing in a computer running win 2000 or xp it shows the website can you please advise what i need to adjust on the win 98se computer.
thanks a lot
Ernest

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am trying to open a web site in win 98 IE6 but not show
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am trying to open a web site in win 98 IE6 but not show
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: I am trying to open a web site in win 98 IE6 but not sho

In reply to: I am trying to open a web site in win 98 IE6 but not show

"does not show"

That's too vague. The least you could do is tell what happens, including the number or text of the error message, if there is one. The site uses flash, but I don't interpret your description as a specific problem with that part of the page. But I might be wrong.

The other computers, that do show the site, are they using the same physical connection (dial-up, cable, adsl; router?) and the same ISP?

Preliminary diagnostics:
- Look if you have a file called 'hosts' (no extension) in the Windows folder, and if so, rename it and see the effect.
- On all three machines, go into ms-dos/command prompt, and type ping www.senseofbeing.net (followed by enter). Note the different reactions.
- Go to www.mozilla.org and download their browser. Does that show the site?

Hope this helps.

Kees
Collapse -

In reply to: Re: I am trying to open a web site in win 98 IE6 but not sho

Hello,
What i got from any machine running win 98 and IE 6.0 is :
Welcome This site is under construction
If open internet E. ON ANY MACHINE WITH WIN 2000 OR XP i can see the web site, i found a file hosts.sam, is it the file you refered ?, there is not difference from the ping command on the 3 machines, but again IE 6.0 ON ANY MACHINE RUNNING WIN 98 DOES NOT SHOW THAT WEB SITE , IF YOU CAN GIVE A TRY ON WIN98 MACHINE PLEASE ANY OTHER HELP IS VERY APPRECIATED.
Regards
Ernesto

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: I am trying to open a web site in win 98 IE6 but not sho

This is much more info.

I checked the site with both IE 5.5 and Mozilla Firebird 0.8 on both Windows 95 and 98 SE, and in all cases I get a black page with a Flash image on in, some text and some pictures in javascript. And I can enter the site in IE (in Mozilla the 'enter' button on the bottom of the flash doesn't show). But for the rest I don't think the OS or browser matters.

Most remarkable: in the page source there's no "construction" to be found. So it seems you somehow go to the wrong page. And then it doesn't matter the original page contains errors, as Bob shows.

On two machines (one working correctly and one working incorrectly) go to a MS-DOS (or Command) window and type ping www.senseofbeing.net (followed by enter). Compare the outcome (especially the ip-address returned. Also compare the page source (View>Source) on both machines. Mine starts with

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">
<html>
<head>
<title>SENSE OF BEING OFFICIAL WEBSITE</title>

and, as I said, doesn't contain any "construction".

Report your findings.

Kees

Collapse -
I am trying to open a web site with bad HTML.

In reply to: I am trying to open a web site in win 98 IE6 but not show

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.