Question

I am stuck and would appreciate any help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: I am stuck and would appreciate any help!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I am stuck and would appreciate any help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Looks like POST failure

The screen looks like it has failed POST (power on self test). If it has the puter will issue beep codes to tell you what is wrong. I am linking the page for Dell Inspiron 530 beep codes.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/inspd530/EN/OM/HTML/trouble.htm

When you turn on the puter, listen for the beeps. If it has failed post you should hear them and that should help you figure out what is going on.

- Collapse -
wow

thank you- I had no idea the single beep meant anything.

- Collapse -
Answer
Possible Causes/Solutions

I also have an Inspiron 530 and a few weeks ago my boot only got as far as the same Dell welcome screen. I was getting 4 beeps. I took it a computer repair shop which fixed it and said it was a problem with the Master Boot Record, but I don't know what they did to fix it - probably used a boot disk and did a Dell repair. A few days later, the same thing happened. I took it back to the same shop, which a short time later rang to say there was no problem. They suggested that I boot up with only a mouse and keyboard connected and progressively add other peripherals to see what was causing the problem. It turned out to be a USB hub (which worked fine before). Now I boot up with the hub disconnected and then connect it after the computer has booted. On odd occasions, this hasn't always worked so I press F8 for Safe Mode but select Start Windows Normally, and it works fine

CNET Forums