Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I am so upset!!!!

I can't believe that for years I hooked up the VCR and DVD players and now nothing I do works!!! Grrrrrr! I mean really I can build a computer from scratch and i can't figure out the instructions on these darned things!! I may throw them all out the front door! TV too!!!
Jim is working on it now, cussing at them as he goes! I am trying to ignore the whole process!! Where are the tranquilizers when I need them! LOL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am so upset!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am so upset!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) dont trow place on porch

In reply to: I am so upset!!!!

Collapse -
Nope

In reply to: dont trow place on porch

I;m tossing it all like garbage!! Now the stinking TV won't even come on!!! I am never going to get any sleep!!!

Collapse -
Did you check your breakers? :-)

In reply to: Nope

You might have tripped a circuit, if you don't have power to anything.

Good luck!
Cindi

Collapse -
Also check if you have popped the little breaker ...

In reply to: Did you check your breakers? :-)

... on a power strip if you're using one.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
No power strip

In reply to: Also check if you have popped the little breaker ...

I have a plug that has 6 outlets on it:) The TV power on has not worked for years LOL! So it stays on 24/7 LOL! If I get tired of it I just mute it:) One of these days a new TV is coming home with me:)

Collapse -
If problem is power to everything ...

In reply to: No power strip

... it may be possible you fried the outlet. Would probably smell it, but who knows. I've done my fair share of connecting stuff and inadvertantly connecting plugs wrong. Occasionally you'll get a weird sound, but it seems they've done a pretty good job of protecting us from ourselves to actually fry the equipment.

Or maybe the on/off button on the TV works now? Try it! Grin

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Nope

In reply to: If problem is power to everything ...

power was on all the other stuff, Just the tV wouldn't come on, BUT I kicked it and now it works too:) Just can't figure out how to hook up the DVD and the VCR, instructions suck!! And now I am too mad to do it!! LOL

Collapse -
If it's a VCR, DVD combo ...

... just use the cable connection like you would for a VCR. I've always liked the combo units cuz you can watch a DVD on an older TV or w/o hooking up the other inputs. Make sure it's coming out of the "out" and not the "in". Good luck!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Nope

In reply to: If it's a VCR, DVD combo ...

made Jim take that POS back!!!! LOL

Collapse -
That was the first thing I did:(

In reply to: Did you check your breakers? :-)

I finally got mad enough went over kicked the TV played with the plugs and the remote and it came back on! Now all I have to do is get Jim out of here so I can concentrate and hook it all up again!!

Collapse -
Okay, just the way you talk the folks that come to you

for computer advice through the process, let's take this one step at a time. Is all or any of this equipment new, or has the set-up changed in any way? First try the TV by itself with the cable directly from the wall. Toshiba TV's don't work unless you turn them on with the button on the set, and then turn them on with the remote. I'm sure there are other TV brands that do weird things like that too.

If you get the TV working, then add one item at a time starting with the DVD. My DVD player also has to be turned on at the player before you can turn it on with the remote. It's an obscure Chinese brand (Malata) that will play PAL DVD's as well as NTSC, in fact slightly better with the new TV.

Is all that too elementary, and stuff you've already done or thought of? You can e-mail me details and I can try to help. I actually used to have a business where I did this for money, but I now do it mostly for friends.

Rob

Collapse -
VCR was a relatively new one

In reply to: Okay, just the way you talk the folks that come to you

DVD player is new. I kicked the TV it started working, got rid of the manual and the VCR works:) Enough frustration for tonight! DVD will be hooked up tomorrow:) Thanks:)

Collapse -
(NT) When the manual doesn't work, its time for manual force.

In reply to: VCR was a relatively new one

Collapse -
You need a Remote?

I got an all purpose one for free, I got with a pair of Haband mail order pants. Say the word I'll ship it to you. I can't even find the on switch to see if it works. Looks like you could run a 747 with it. Happy

George

Collapse -
Thanks George

In reply to: You need a Remote?

My remote works fine, It is the power on the TV itself that won't turn off, Not even with a remote:( This TV is only about 25 years old I guess we need to buy another one soon.

Collapse -
I don't know too much about those things....But

In reply to: Thanks George

If your set is 25 years old it must be analog. Whats the DVD player? You got any digital stuff in there anywhere. May not be compatible with each other.

George

Collapse -
It is analog

In reply to: I don't know too much about those things....But

but the DVD and the VCR both worked before, I think there is a mental block on my part! LOL

Collapse -
Now, I'm confused. They both worked before, but you don't

In reply to: It is analog

know how to hook them up?

Our VCR, like all its predecessors, plugs into the TV's antenna input. You do have to press the TV/VCR switch if you use the VCR as your tuner. You also have to switch the TV to the VCR's channel.

Our DVD plugs into one of the TV's component connections. You have to cycle through the TV inputs to get it.

You probably know all that already.

My daughter has a back seat outfitted like the Taj Mahal when we take long trips. One year, we forgot the remote control for the back seat TV. She wailed like a banshee until we bought a universal remote. THEN, later on, the TV picture started cutting off. She got so mad that she started banging on it, and it came back on. We spent the rest of the trip whacking the TV.

Wink

Collapse -
It's just me:(

In reply to: Now, I'm confused. They both worked before, but you don't

I now have the TV working great!! VCR is hooked up and working:) I am leaving the DVD player for another day, I don't want to get so mad I throw it out the door:) The biggest problem is remebering where I had all this stuff hooked up in the first place, Jim took it all apart so I have no clue what was pulled out of where:( You think you are confused??? Ha thats my middle name!

Collapse -
Chuckle

In reply to: Now, I'm confused. They both worked before, but you don't

I think I've had a zillion VCR's over the years. They've always worked with the TV on Channel 3. This stupid new combo wanted the TV on a different channel (can't remember if it was 2 or 4), but how frustrating it was until I figured that out!

Evie Happy

Collapse -
I understand completely. Went through hell getting a cable

box with PVR that worked properly. I must have returned 6 or 7 of the things, and truthfully the last one had the same problems as the first 6 but I was so fed up that I didn't rush to exchange it. Imagine my surprise when a couple of months later it fixed itself.

Now, since we have a nice new Sony Bravia HD ready TV but whose picture wasn't as good as I expected except with DVD's, I took the PVR Cable box back to the store and got the High Def version with the PVR. It doesn't work. Brand new, straight out of the box and it doesn't even boot up, it just displays gobbledy-**** in the window that normally shows the time or the channel and occasionally reverts to "boot" and then "HAL 2" which, as a long time admirer of 2001: A Space Odyssey, is creepy. Plus I did all this in the driving rain. Now I have to go through the whole process again, and given past performance I have no confidence that the next box will be any better than the first. I'll try it at the store before bringing it home, but there is always the possibility that it is a line problem which will involve a service call, whenever they get round to it.

Grrrrr.

Rob

Collapse -
I know this may sound silly ...

In reply to: I understand completely. Went through hell getting a cable

... and I'm not one to usually read instructions, but those DVR things are tricky. You sometimes have to press a sequence of buttons simultaneously (kinda the DVR version of the 3-finger salute on the PC) and wait several minutes for them to boot up. That sequence should be in the set-up instructions. Good luck!

Collapse -
Thanks Evie, I'll re-read the instructions before actually

In reply to: I know this may sound silly ...

returning it, but I called Tech support and they thought it was faulty because it couldn't complete the boot process. Nevertheless, admitting I may have read the instructions in too cursory a manner is better than another trip to Rogers Video.

Rob

Collapse -
I think the bootup also ...

In reply to: Thanks Evie, I'll re-read the instructions before actually

... qualifies for the "watched pot never boils" rule. May want to follow the instructions, then go have a snack ... or a meal Grin

Collapse -
After I got tired of the manual

I hooked up the VCR and now it works! I should have known better than to read that stinkin manual!!!

Collapse -
I almost never do ...

In reply to: After I got tired of the manual

... but every now and then they come in handy. Hope it's a snap when you try afresh tomorrow morning. Devil Knowing you, better yet, wait till the afternoon. Devil

Evie Happy

Collapse -
You know

In reply to: I almost never do ...

my day doesn't even start until 10AM! First 2 hours are coffee:)

Collapse -
Turns out it was entirely the fault of the unit.

I went back, and insisted on taking the (slightly older) unit that was working in the store. The clerk was a total pain in the a.. but I'm sure he thought it was mutual and that I was being one too. Brought home the new(ish) HD-PVR and it booted instantly and now all our channels come in in great color, and the HD is awesome. Even my wife is happy with it.

I particularly like the 8 inputs on the new TV for various pieces of equipment so that when I get the old Pioneer LaserDisc player serviced, I'll have access to my LaserDisc library. Why bother, I hear a strangled cry. Because I spent money on the discs and have some stuff on Laser that I haven't found on DVD. Including the entire collection of the Louvre on 3 LaserDiscs from Voyager/Criterion and a number of foreign films.

Thanks for listening to me kvetch and for the suggestions. Evie, your quick response made the rest of yesterday evening bearable. I am in your debt.

Rob

Collapse -
Wait until 2009 and none will work w/o set-top box, Glenda.

The HD law is really the "cable company profit enhancement act," as they charge $6 per box per month fo something they get for about $25 wholesale -- how's that for margin? <sigh>

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
I don't have cable

In reply to: Wait until 2009 and none will work w/o set-top box, Glenda.

or satellite anymore. When were seeing programs from years ago we said no more! I really don't miss it! We watch movies when nothing is on TV:)

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!