Phones forum

General discussion

I am so sick of InPhonic / Wirefly!!!!

by cyberhowie / February 8, 2006 4:32 AM PST

I need new phones. I wanted to shop around for the best deals. You cant get good cell phone deals in the mall or go directly to the cell phone service provider stores. But, no matter how hard I search for good (free) cell phone deals online (mostly on Google.com), 99.99% of the online cell phone internet store sites all leads me to the same company: InPhonic / Wirefly. Is there any ohter good, honest and reputable onlines stores out there besides InPhonic / Wirefly?????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am so sick of InPhonic / Wirefly!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am so sick of InPhonic / Wirefly!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rip-Off by INPONIC????
by amsco / February 8, 2006 5:03 AM PST

YOur right go to the Cell Company that pays INPHONE to RIP-OFF all that due not Inphonic is paid by the Cell Phone company to sign you up for your one or two years ,,They are well aware just what INPHONIC has done They do not care if there sub-agent Rips you off from your rebate that they have paid to Inphonic the have you fot the term of the contract. You should let your cell phone carrier know that you hold them responable for allowing INPHOIC to RIP-YOU-OFF....

Collapse -
INPHONIC RIP-OFF
by amsco / February 8, 2006 6:06 AM PST

WE must stand together and bring the cell phone company into the scope for they did use INPHONIC as the agent to get on board for one or two years.. They also should be held to account for the action of the agent they paid.. They know just what INPHONIC the rebate RIP-OFF company is doing but they still use them...

Collapse -
YOU ARE SO RIGHT!
by ZTthebigP / February 8, 2006 8:45 AM PST

Yes i know, the stupid InPhonic/Wirefly crap comes up on everything!

Collapse -
plenty but you have to know who to trust ...
by madeformotorola / February 8, 2006 12:07 PM PST

letstalk.com is great. ive done business with them before. they also have resonable prices (if youre not cheap).

Collapse -
letstalk.com (Just one more INPHONIC REBATE RIP-OFF)
by amsco / February 8, 2006 12:28 PM PST

They are also part of INPHONIC so you will run into tthe same old INPHONIC REBARE RIP-OFF...

Collapse -
no no no
by madeformotorola / February 10, 2006 9:05 AM PST

i dont need no rebate...because i didnt sign up for a plan . dont you people know that if u want a new phone, just buy it without contract

Collapse -
no contract?
by tbenzinger / February 13, 2006 5:07 AM PST
In reply to: no no no

But if you buy without a contract, you'll never get the same kind of deal, will you? Where can you get a new phone, without a contract, for free?

Collapse -
Don't think anyone offers that deal
by mightyphung / February 13, 2006 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: no contract?

A free phone without a contract (much less a new contract) probably doesn't exist. I saw some really cheap (maybe free) deals with the pay-as-you-go carriers. But that's not what you meant by no contract, right? And those phones were really crappy.

The point is: why in the world would any company just give you a free phone? Why would a company even give you the subsidized price for the phone, if you aren't committing to a contract?

You might get some deals with contract extensions, but they still won't be as good as with a new contract. (Once the carrier already has you as a customer it's not as necessary to incentivize you to renew as it would be to switch. So there's not a lot of money to be made on existing customers)

I might be mistaken. If anyone knows otherwise, let us know. Then we can all order free phones and turn around and sell them on eBay!

Collapse -
this has been around for a while
by madeformotorola / February 14, 2006 1:53 PM PST

listen up young bloods.....this only works for GSM. if you want a new phone without upgrading or signing up for a new contract.. go to your carrier store and BUY the phone for the no contract price. its more than upgrading and all that but its an easy way to get the phone you want. nothing is free people...you have to give up some money. this works for any phone. example-say you have a razr and you still have 8 months left on your contract. then the coolest phone comes out. you want it? go get it!! go into your carrier store and say you want to buy said phone with NO CONTRACT. generally you pay about $300+ for the phone. but hey, if you want it that bad, go for it. there is no rebate or hidden charges. i hope this woke you all up

Collapse -
not for free
by madeformotorola / February 14, 2006 1:46 PM PST
In reply to: no contract?

no its not free..nothing in this world is "free"...just buy the phone from a t-mobile or cingular store with no contract. then put your sim card in the new phone and ur good from there...see, easy

Collapse -
well, obviously...
by tbenzinger / February 14, 2006 10:32 PM PST
In reply to: not for free

Umm, madeformotorola, I think people know that there are plenty of places to buy a new "cool" phone for $300+. For those of us who might want to find a GOOD deal, you'll need to get the contract, too. What's wrong with that? It's pretty standard practice.

And if there's a website or two that offers an even better deal (i.e., free), then a lot of people will feel like YOU are the sucker.

Why pay $300? At least take your chances with the rebate...

Collapse -
pathetic
by madeformotorola / February 15, 2006 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: well, obviously...

why jack up your contract to save $50?? why ?? are you that tight with dollars that every time you want a new phone, you have to mess with rebates and all that ? im just stating the way i deal with my phone stuff. dont go callin people suckas until you look at yourself!! and fyi, you dont get precious rebates when you buy the phone outright . its just the way to go. im with cingular til 07,so im gonna keep doin what im doin

Collapse -
whoa, whoa
by tbenzinger / February 15, 2006 12:41 AM PST
In reply to: pathetic

Hey, I know you don't get rebates when you buy the phone outright. That's why you pay $300, and I pay anywhere from $0-$50. It's a matter of saving quite a bit more than fifty bucks, if you know where to look.

Having said that, I realize it's a matter of personal taste. In fact, I think I said that in my original post. Wink

To each his own.

Collapse -
thats what ive been saying
by madeformotorola / February 15, 2006 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: whoa, whoa

you all can do whatever you want..my way is simple. ive been doing it forever. when the slvr came out,i went to letstalk.com and bought it outright. no fees, just smooth sailing

Collapse -
wirefly
by charmaine14 / April 11, 2010 12:08 AM PDT
In reply to: no no no

hi i wanted to know if any of you ordered from wirefly and if you did do you have to get the contract with the phone

Collapse -
We'll see....
by cyberhowie / March 1, 2006 11:20 PM PST

I placed an order with letstalk.com for 1 Razr for $149.00 plus a totally free Samsung E635 on a T-Mobile family plan. The phones arrived right on time (2 business days as the web site claimed). The phones are totally new. The boxes of the phones were sealed and so do the sim cards, which has not been detached from the "creidt card looking" card thing so I know they were completely unused. So, I guess I am pretty happy with letstalk.com (so far). Lets see if the 2 rebate checks comes back approved. But I am pretty sure I will not have any problems getting the $50 rebate check from T-Mobile since I did a couple of rebate checks from T-Mobile before and they all got approved (if you follow the directions). Even if the $100 rebate check from letstalk.com got denied, I think it's still not a bad deal for 2 cell phones, one Razr, One Samsung for a total of $100.00.

Collapse -
good luck getting your rebate from letstalk.com LOL!!
by patfobstar / March 28, 2006 9:45 AM PST
In reply to: We'll see....

I say that because I have been trying to get mine from them forever!!!! I have gotten every reason under the sun on why I havent received my refund. They are awful dont use them!!! wirefly or anyone else is much better! Their customer service people are arguing on how I havent paid my bill and am not in good standing when in fact I have OVERPAID my bill by alot and eventhough I have highlighted this and circled it and done everything under the sun they refuse to give me refunds on 2 razrs!! they owe me $300. Now even though they have the originals I submitted I have to almost daily fax the copies over them they keep getting "misplaced"...Its to the point where I feel like I am going to have to get a lawyer to get my money back!! I strongly urge everyone to NOT use letstalk they are horrible and a bunch of crooks looking for any loophole to get out of refunding ones money. I am sure the next correspondence I get from them will be that the refund time has expired and I am no longer entitled to any refund and there is nothing they can do. Eventhough its due to their gross incompetence....Take your business elsewhere!

Collapse -
same thing...
by cyberhowie / February 8, 2006 10:22 PM PST

well, I dont think letstalk.com is related to InPhonic / Wirefly, but in you search online you'll find people complaint about the same rebate scam with letstalk.com. Also, letstalk's rebate requirement is almost identical to InPhonic / Wirefly. Take a look:

NOTE: Your rebate submission must be postmarked between 120 days and 180 days or we will be unable to process your rebate request

Please allow 8-10 weeks after submission for check processing. Equipment serial and cell phone numbers will be verified as active on our system prior to rebate being fulfilled.

So, from the date of the purchase, first you have to wait at least 181 days before you can even thinking about filing your clamis. Then give about another a week or two for them to receive your claims. And then wait for another 10 weeks for your rebate checks in the mail. That means you have to wait at least 265 days (more than 37 weeks) before you see any rebate checks coming. That's assuming they can't find any rediculous reasons to reject your claims. Who can wait that long???

Collapse -
oh well
by cyberhowie / February 8, 2006 10:24 PM PST
In reply to: same thing...

well my math maybe wrong but you get the idea

Collapse -
Inphonic Inc. has most internet cell phone sites ....
by amsco / February 9, 2006 5:14 AM PST

Just the name on the sites are diff. the all fall under INPHONIC INC. Letalk is one od the INPHONIC INC Sites.

Collapse -
hey hey hey..heres a neat idea
by madeformotorola / February 10, 2006 9:12 AM PST

why not buy from an actual cell phone store ?? then you wouldnt have to put up with their crap ??? hmm??? stores are primary places to buy stuff. only do it online when its your last resort ...

and...learn proper grammar

Collapse -
Correct me if I'm wrong
by jenseits / February 13, 2006 4:06 AM PST

I'm pretty sure these companies have to disclose the rebate terms up front. It seems like a lot of people are griping about a business practice they agreed to when they made their purchase. I certainly don't like it, so I don't buy things on the basis of mail-in rebates. That's my choice. Just like it's your choice to "take advantage" of the deal, for whatever that's worth.

You say "who can wait that long?"... well, if you can't then you shouldn't have bought from them.

I'm not criticizing you. I don't want this to disintegrate into a bunch of people just flaming each other like in some other threads. I'm just saying.

Collapse -
You're not wrong
by cyberhowie / February 13, 2006 6:51 AM PST

Of course you have to read the fine lines. "Nothing is for nothing". I am just hoping the companies who promised to give consumers "rebates" fulifll their ends of the bargin, if the consumers followed the rules of the rebate and did exactly what they supposed to do. I probably have no problem to wait 180 days for my rebates, if I followed all the instructions correctly. I just dont like the companies who are dishonest and try to take adventage of the general public.

I guess I probably just buy a new cell phone without a contract online, then open up a cell plan with the cell carriers.

Collapse -
you dont know what im even speaking of
by madeformotorola / February 10, 2006 9:10 AM PST

did i say that i signed up for a service and was supposed to get a rebate ??? hello ???? i NEVER said that. so why are you assuming that im gettin a rebate when you dont even know what i did with letstalk ....geez people, get with the program !!! my most recent association with them was last sunday. i bought a phone with no contract since i already had service....they didnt mess with me...not a bit.....dont start spouting off to people when you have no clue about their situation !!

Collapse -
INPHONIC is the company that has RIP-YOU-OFF.
by amsco / February 8, 2006 9:29 PM PST

The Names of the GREAT INTERNET REBATE RIP-OFF...The ones that put your money into thire pocket each day.....Management

David A. Steinberg
Founder and Chief Executive Officer

Richard D. Calder, Jr.
President and Chief Operating Officer

Lawrence S. Winkler
Chief Financial Officer

Gary J. Smith
Chief Information Officer

Michael E. Ferzacca
Chief Marketing Officer

Frank C. Bennett III
Chief Strategy Officer and President of MVNO

Brian T. Westrick
President of Wireless Activation and Services

Michael E. Walden
Senior Vice President of Corporate Development

Walter W. Leach, III,
General Counsel and Secretary
David A. Steinberg
Founder and Chief Executive Officer

David A. Steinberg, our founder, has served as our chairman of the board of directors and chief executive officer since our inception and served as president from August 2002 until March 2004. Prior to founding InPhonic, Mr. Steinberg was chairman, president and chief executive officer of Sterling Cellular, Inc., a distributor of wireless products that he founded in November 1993. In April 2004, Mr. Steinberg was appointed to the board of the United States Chamber of Commerce. In June 2002, Mr. Steinberg was named the Greater Washington Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year in the communications category. Mr. Steinberg holds a B.A. from Washington & Jefferson College.

Collapse -
David A. Steinberg CEO INPHONIC REBATE RIP-OFF LEADER
by amsco / February 8, 2006 10:31 PM PST

Yes David A. Steinberg, has RIP-OFF all of that used INPHONIC the RIP-OFF company to get cell phones .. David loves to spend your money on houses and boats. We need to have David and his pack of RIP-OFF pros. pay up in court.. Yes David is happy with your money...

Collapse -
Interesting you say that...
by socalcandlegal / February 9, 2006 5:01 AM PST
Collapse -
Big David....He likes your money...
by amsco / February 9, 2006 5:24 AM PST

Yes David would sell anything but to keep rebates is a better way for him and Richard D. Calder, Jr. The two that allow the Great Internet Rebate scam by INPHONIC INC. better know as the "INPHONIC REBATE RIP-OFF"to happen it is not clear just what one of two came up with this scam but they both love your rebate money in his pocket.......

Collapse -
In other words...
by cyberhowie / February 9, 2006 6:57 AM PST

we're screwed! Dont even think about getting a good cell phone deals with an honest vendor from online...?

Collapse -
Rebate Scams
by cyberhowie / February 10, 2006 3:20 AM PST

I think all mail-in-rebates are one types of scam or the other. If there really is a "rebate", then why do the vendor / manufacturer made you to wait 180 days before you can even mail the rebate claims in? They are hoping on the chances that you might forget about it, do simply does not want to go thru all the trouble to get your money back. Which is what brought all of us here in the first place....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!