Video Cameras forum

General discussion

I am so confused...could someone specify?

So, I am new to cameras and camcorders in general. I have been looking at various websites, and doing research- but each individual seems to have his/her own opinion on aspects of camcorders. For example, one website stated that Mini-DV camcorders are becoming outdated, but it has good quality video and is good for editing. However, another site states that Mini-DV camcorders are old and just shouldn't be bothered with or compared to newer camcorders.

Then there are technical issues. I am completely lost when websites through out fancy camcorder terms.

All I know is that I want a good camera for a person interested in making personal films. My price range is $200-$600, but I want something that will give me a good couple of years' worth.

Nothing fancy, but nothing worthless.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am so confused...could someone specify?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am so confused...could someone specify?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If I were to buy a camera today,

In reply to: I am so confused...could someone specify?

one of the requirements would be that it be miniDV. May I suggest that you read through the forum sticky at the top of this camcorder forum (in case you have not already done so).

There are many reasons I would get miniDV including: that tape becomes the archive, best video quality available (compared to other storage media) and "unlimited" capacity (just pop in a new tape).

I agree that analog tape is going by the wayside, and it is possible that certain manufacturers are more focused on making money on poorer quality video capture devices, but I do not agree that digital tape is an antiquated capture method that "should not be bothered with".

Having been an IT manager, I know that hard drives will fail, and recovery of the data stored on that hard drive (in this case a camcorder) means an expensive interaction with a company like Drive Savers, or if the camcorder fails (not the hard drive), I have no method to get to the video - but with miniDV tape, I take out the tape and insert it to another camera... and with over 300 tapes, I have yet to have a tape failure, so that is a minor concern to me. With miniDVD disc based camcorders, the video compression is so high, the resulting video is awful to edit. I believe the next good thing is solid state memory, but I still need a better archive mechanism and cheaper memory so for now, miniDV tapes it is.

Please note that transferring miniDV taped video requires FireWire on your computer... so we need to know what you have there, too. Hard drive based camcorders typically use USB - and the higher-end hard drive based camcorders may also provide video that is good enough for you.

For your price range and stated requirements, the Panasonic PV-GS miniDV based camcorder line seems about right... but this is just my opinion...

Collapse -
Okay well...lets see.

In reply to: If I were to buy a camera today,

I have a couple of question, then. Please note that I am completely new to video editing, so my questions may come off as obvious or ignorant. (hah.)

Okay, so...I do my video editing on my computer with Adobe Premier Elements 3.0. If I had a MiniDV camera, could I get the files from the camera to my computer? Yes, right?

You said I needed some type of program to do that- is it a large program? What do I need to know about my computer when selecting a camera?

Collapse -
The steps to video editing are pretty much the same,

In reply to: Okay well...lets see.

but I will tell you now that I do my editing on a Mac.

I have worked with Adobe Premiere (on a Windows machine) - not Premiere Elements. Premiere is a pretty high-end video editor... It looks like Premiere Elements is a less featured version - it should work fine. It will have an "Import" function that works when your camera is properly connected (with appropriate divers loaded on the computer) to the computer.

As I indicated in my earlier reply, your computer will need a FireWire port to transfer video from your miniDV tape based camcorder to your computer. We don't know what kind of computer you have or what operating system (other than Windows) you are using, so we don't know what you need to do. It is easy enough to add.

The other item we don't know about your computer is how much available hard drive space you have (video uses a lot of space), how much RAM you have and what processor speed your computer is clocked at. Editing digitized video on your computer is actually a lot of number crunching... and a DVD burner (internal or external) would be REALLY helpful.

Collapse -
Confused

In reply to: I am so confused...could someone specify?

I bought the Sony DVD405 mini DVD camcorder last year, and I am very happy with it. Of course their are newer models, such as DVD505, etc. These camcorders uses a mini dvd that are 30 minutes, and 1 hour long.
Some mini dvds can be re-recordered. (DVD+RW/-RW/-R) Song also has a camcorder that stores movies on a Hard Drive. (No tapes or DVDs). Note both types take wonderful Still Photos also. Search Cnet for the best prices. Good luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.