Windows 7 forum

General discussion

I am planning to update to Windows 7 Home Premium

by Darrell / January 31, 2011 6:44 PM PST

I have a DELL Optiplex GX 620. Since it was sold in 2005, will an new HD 160 GB vs the 80 GB I have now plus t second 2 GB memory stick = 4096MB. After seeing the comparisons between 32bit and 64bit, I plan to go to 32bit. Already have WINXP Home Edition that states all should be removed except F2 and F12.
A man who had repaired the original WINXP Professional said it is for newer machines. Darrell

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am planning to update to Windows 7 Home Premium
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am planning to update to Windows 7 Home Premium
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: upgrading
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 31, 2011 6:48 PM PST

Two questions:
1. What does the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor say about your machine?
2. I've never seen XP stating "remove all except F2 and F12". Can you tell more about that?

As you've got no questions I've got no answers.

Kees

Collapse -
And your question?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2011 6:51 PM PST

You didn't say.

I'm confused though. You said "Already have WINXP Home Edition that states all should be removed except F2 and F12". What is F2 and F12, other than keyboard function keys? How would those be removed?

How did the compatibility test go for the upgrade from Win XP to Win 7?

You do realise that there is no 'upgrade' from Win XP to Win 7?

Can I upgrade to Windows 7 from a previous version of Windows?
-> From Windows XP or below, no; a clean installation will be required.

In view of that, make sure you have a plan for re-installing XP if the install of Win 7 fails.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: upgrade
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 31, 2011 7:04 PM PST
In reply to: And your question?

That's why I decided to buy a new PC for Windows 7 in stead of updating my XP PC (from 2007). I found it very convenient to have enough time to switch (it took me a week to set it up enough to start using it) and the old PC still is available. Quite useful to copy things I forgot to backup and have a look at the occasional userid stored in a cookie. With a clean install on the same machine that would have been more difficult.

If my old PC was from 2005, I'd even be more inclined to do it that way. It seems Darrell isn't.

Kees

Collapse -
I agree
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 31, 2011 7:15 PM PST
In reply to: Re: upgrade

It's a risky business, moving from XP to Win 7 on an older machine; on any machine in fact.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?