Question

I am looking to view my bedroom when I leave for the Holiday

I have a laptop and a desktop and would like to view my bedroom at anytime when I am gone using a webcam and connecting it to my desktop stationary computer.

What steps can I take to have a webcam connected and have it live streaming to a site where I can access it when Im not home?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: I am looking to view my bedroom when I leave for the Holiday
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: I am looking to view my bedroom when I leave for the Holiday
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Widely discussed.

The problem with the desktop is that the energy use is usually like leaving on a few 100 Watt light bulbs. It's not that great an idea but before we go further, this has been done and done and done so often that it's now a frequently asked question.

I'm going to skip mentioning any PC software here and note Ustream. That's it.

But why not an web connected camera with tilt and pan? The last one I got was well under 99 bucks.
Bob

- Collapse -

Honestly I dont really care about using a lot of electricity. I just want something cheap. I really want a cheap $10-20 webcam and find out how to upstream to a website I can check on. I just dont know how..

- Collapse -
Remember it's a well discussed area.

Many web cams come with said app and I see I mention Ustream so let's see what others add.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) PS. Google iSpy.
- Collapse -
Answer

There's something easier. What you need is a usb cam that supports an internal web server or use a device that will take an existing usb cam and adds that functionality. This way you don't have to stream anything to any site, rather make a direct connection to that device on your network from any Internet location. Here's a link that takes $35 raspberry pi and provides said functionality.

http://pingbin.com/2012/12/raspberry-pi-web-cam-server-motion/

CNET Forums

Forum Info