Thank you for being a valued part of the CNET community. As of December 1, 2020, the forums are in read-only format. In early 2021, CNET Forums will no longer be available. We are grateful for the participation and advice you have provided to one another over the years.

Thanks,

CNET Support

Question

I am looking to view my bedroom when I leave for the Holiday

Nov 22, 2013 2:23AM PST

I have a laptop and a desktop and would like to view my bedroom at anytime when I am gone using a webcam and connecting it to my desktop stationary computer.

What steps can I take to have a webcam connected and have it live streaming to a site where I can access it when Im not home?

Discussion is locked

- Collapse -
Answer
Widely discussed.
Nov 22, 2013 2:27AM PST

The problem with the desktop is that the energy use is usually like leaving on a few 100 Watt light bulbs. It's not that great an idea but before we go further, this has been done and done and done so often that it's now a frequently asked question.

I'm going to skip mentioning any PC software here and note Ustream. That's it.

But why not an web connected camera with tilt and pan? The last one I got was well under 99 bucks.
Bob

- Collapse -
Nov 24, 2013 1:49AM PST

Honestly I dont really care about using a lot of electricity. I just want something cheap. I really want a cheap $10-20 webcam and find out how to upstream to a website I can check on. I just dont know how..

- Collapse -
Remember it's a well discussed area.
Nov 24, 2013 2:12AM PST

Many web cams come with said app and I see I mention Ustream so let's see what others add.
Bob

- Collapse -
(NT) PS. Google iSpy.
Nov 27, 2013 11:20AM PST
- Collapse -
Answer
Nov 27, 2013 9:51AM PST

There's something easier. What you need is a usb cam that supports an internal web server or use a device that will take an existing usb cam and adds that functionality. This way you don't have to stream anything to any site, rather make a direct connection to that device on your network from any Internet location. Here's a link that takes $35 raspberry pi and provides said functionality.

http://pingbin.com/2012/12/raspberry-pi-web-cam-server-motion/