Speakeasy forum

General discussion

I am ketchup, hear me roar!

by David Evans / August 2, 2004 6:39 PM PDT

The anti-Americans can really get mean. Actually, they're getting meaner and more anti-American every day:

'Shove it' still reverberating

> In hundreds of e-mails and telephone calls to his office and home, and even on the street, Mr. McNickle's [the reporter that Theresa "I am ketchup, hear me roar!" Heinz-Kerry told to "shove it"] life was threatened. He was called a "Nazi" and a variety of obscene names, and had death wished upon him.

In a Boston Globe interview, singer Patti LaBelle advised Mrs. Kerry to "pimp slap" Mr. McNickle; liberal columnist Molly Ivins suggested he had inappropriately "touched" Mrs. Kerry; and former Baltimore Sun columnist Jack Germond told CNN that Mr. McNickle "was not a legitimate newspaperman." [Other than the links to the Washington Times, the links and editorial comments within square brackets are mine.]

Time to flush this sewage and make it a footnote in history. Sheesh!

DE

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am ketchup, hear me roar!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am ketchup, hear me roar!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The Arrogance of the Democrats.
by James Denison / August 2, 2004 7:29 PM PDT

The attitude displayed openly by Mrs. Kerry is just the tip of the iceberg, that which is seen above the surface, of the arrogance and sometimes outright HATRED of the Democrats toward others. The Democrats are the most BIGOTED group of people anyone could ever have the displeasure to be associated with. No need to mention that Teresa Heinz Kerry is registered Republican. Doesn't matter if a turncoat is pushing the Democrat agenda, it makes her a Democrat.

Collapse -
Re: The Arrogance of the Democrats.
by Cindi Haynes / August 3, 2004 12:49 AM PDT

Hi James,

I wonder how many of her companies have moved out of the USA and how many Americans are out of work due to Heinz closings and such. And would John Kerry make her reopen in the USA to bring jobs back to Americans?

I ask because they're always hollering about Republicans and big greedy corporations and such. I don't really know where to look to find the facts for this info and you seem so good at finding things...

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
Re: The Arrogance of the Democrats.
by Mary Kay / August 3, 2004 1:15 AM PDT

Hi Cindi, If I'm not mistaken, she is not in anyway involved in the operation of the company. She is simply the widow of a family member.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Don't confuse them with facts, MK
by Josh K / August 3, 2004 5:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't know, but since it's a food company,
by James Denison / August 3, 2004 4:34 AM PDT

and America is a bread basket to the world, I suspect we export more from here and it wouldn't be advantageous to take it overseas, except in specialty areas such as regional crops like bananas. I'll look around and see what I come up with.

Collapse -
The beef from Heinz - distancing themselves from Teresa.
by James Denison / August 3, 2004 5:00 AM PDT
http://heinz.com/jsp/index.jsp

H. J. Heinz Company manufactures and markets a line of processed food products. The Company's principal products include ketchup, condiments and sauces, frozen food, soups, beans and pasta meals, tuna and other seafood products, infant food and other processed food products. H. J. Heinz's business is organized and classified according to the geographic regions where it operates and distributes its products, including North America, comprising of North American consumer products and United States, comprising of foodservice, Europe, Asia/Pacific and other operating entities. The Company's products are sold through its own sales force and through independent brokers, agents and distributors to chain, wholesale, cooperative and independent grocery accounts, pharmacies, mass merchants, club stores, foodservice distributors and institutions, including hotels, restaurants and certain government agencies.

William Johnson, 54 Chairman, Pres, CEO $ 6.15MN
Arthur Winkleblack, 46 CFO, Exec. VP $ 1.66MN
Neil Harrison, 50 Exec. VP; Pres and CEO, Heinz North America
Joseph Jimenez, 43 Exec. VP; Pres and CEO, Heinz Europe $ 1.71MN
Edward Smyth, 53 CAO, Sr. VP - Corp. and Gov. Affairs
==========================================================

http://heinz.com/jsp/presidential_statement.pdf
for public dissemination.

H. J. Heinz Company Confirms Its Widely Held Public Ownership
And Non-Partisan Status

Pittsburgh, PA, March 22, 2004

In light of some misleading speculation, the H. J.
Heinz Company would like to make clear that neither Mrs. Teresa Heinz Kerry, Senator
John Kerry nor any member of their family is involved in the management or board of the
H. J. Heinz Company (NYSE:HNZ). They have no involvement in the Heinz
Collapse -
The overseas Heinz divisions.
by James Denison / August 3, 2004 5:04 AM PDT
LINK
Europe

The Europe segment includes H. J. Heinz 's operations in Europe and sells products in all of the Company's categories. In this segment, H. J. Heinz operates 31 Company-owned and three leased factories. The trademarks in this region include Heinz, Petit Navire, John West, Mare D'Oro, Mareblu, Marie Elisabeth, Orlando, Guloso, Linda McCartney and Weight Watchers, Farley's, Farex, Sonnen Basserman, Plasmon, Nipiol, Dieterba, Ortobuono, Frank Coopers, Pudliszki, Go Ahead!, Ross, Hak, Honig and De Ruijter.

Asia/Pacific

The Asia/Pacific segment includes the Company's operations in New Zealand, Australia, Japan, China, South Korea, Indonesia, Singapore and Thailand. This segment's operations include products in all of the Company's categories. H. J. Heinz operates 18 Company-owned and four leased factories in this region. The trademarks in this segment include Heinz, Tom Piper, Wattie's, ABC, Tegel, Chef, Champ, Craig's, Bruno, Winna, Hellaby, Hamper, Farley's, Greenseas, Gourmet, Nurture, Complan and Farex.

Other Operating Entities

This segment includes the Company's operations in Africa, India, Latin America, the Middle East and other areas that sell products in all of H. J. Heinz 's categories. In fiscal 2003, the Company deconsolidated its Zimbabwe operations. The Company has four owned and two leased factories in this segment. The trademarks used in these locations include Heinz, Olivine, Wellington's, Ganave, Champs, Royal Pacific and John West. Other than the impact of Zimbabwe, the other significant impact on operating income was the recall in fiscal 2004, of a soy-based infant formula product sold under the Remedia brand in Israel.
Collapse -
Thanks, James
by Cindi Haynes / August 3, 2004 8:05 AM PDT

For getting all this information. I'm afraid I was under the impression that Theresa was involved in the company somehow. I'm glad to get that misconception squared away!

--Cindi
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email the mods

Collapse -
The HJ Heinz company has had to issue that statement twice
by Josh K / August 3, 2004 5:12 AM PDT

....since folks like you continue to push the idea that Teresa Heinz-Kerry is directing the operation of the company despite your own posting of the company's factual statement that says otherwise.

Collapse -
While tripping merrily over your tongue, did you
by James Denison / August 3, 2004 5:40 AM PDT

...happen to also find that link where, "since folks like you continue to push the idea that Teresa Heinz-Kerry is directing the operation of the company"was ever said (posted) by me? Time to park that tongue back in the garage for it's 3,000 mile spit change I think.

I don't think I've said much about her connection to Heinz other than her name, and if I had done so it would have been limited to the benevolence fund she represents.

Collapse -
Didn't trip over anything....
by Josh K / August 3, 2004 5:55 AM PDT

...unless when you wrote "distancing themselves from Teresa" you meant "Heinz provides facts" and I missed it.

Collapse -
Josh, that's what the Heinz company said.
by James Denison / August 3, 2004 6:07 AM PDT

Visit the link. It's their statement. Since it was a long post I didn't put it in italics. Is that what you were refering to?

Collapse -
Re: Josh, that's what the Heinz company said.
by Josh K / August 3, 2004 6:48 AM PDT

Nowhere in that statement do they say they're trying to distance themselves from Teresa. Those were your words.

Collapse -
Why issue the statement then?
by James Denison / August 3, 2004 6:52 AM PDT

The ONLY reason is to put them and Teresa "at arm's length" in everyone's minds. That is distancing. They are saying they are independant of her and the only reason is because people have been under the erroneous impression that she ran the company. The ONLY reason for issuing such a statement is to distance themselves from her political stance. They aren't saying they are opposed to her, but they are also saying for people to not think they are with her either. That is distancing. Why haggle over the word?

Collapse -
They had to because of threads like this one....
by Josh K / August 3, 2004 11:13 PM PDT

...in which people are trying to link Teresa Heinz Kerry with the company even though they know better. There is nothing political about the company providing the facts. If Mrs. Kerry did have ties to the company, they'd say so in their statement.

Collapse -
They did not use the words...
by Edward ODaniel / August 3, 2004 10:17 AM PDT

but that is EXACTLY the stated intent of the press releases http://heinz.com/jsp/nonpartisan.jsp

H. J. Heinz Company Reaffirms Non-Partisan Status; Attests Flagship Ketchup is All-American

Pittsburgh, PA, July 14, 2004 - In light of misleading reports, H.J. Heinz Company (NYSE:HNZ) reiterated today that neither Teresa Heinz Kerry, Senator John Kerry nor any of the Heinz trusts or endowments, either individually or collectively, holds a significant percentage of H.J. Heinz Company shares.

These two paragraphs were tossed in to make absolutely certain that everyone knows the foundations are not confused either:

Heinz Ketchup is a non-partisan condiment that simply stands for great taste. It's enjoyed by Republicans, Democrats and Independents," said Debbie Foster, vice president of corporate communications for H.J. Heinz Company. "Heinz has been the favorite of Americans across the political spectrum for 135 years, and we have no intention of engaging in a political food fight now."

H.J. Heinz Company, in accordance with its corporate governance policies, is a non-partisan organization. Neither Teresa Heinz Kerry, Senator John Kerry nor any member of their family is involved in the management or board of the H.J. Heinz Company, the Heinz

Collapse -
That is well and good until one digs even deeper.
by Edward ODaniel / August 3, 2004 9:52 AM PDT

this is a long but extremely interesting article
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=3573

She has no control of the company so can't be blamed for lost jobs nor credited with job creation.

She can rightly be blamed for being on the boards of the foundations that have given money supporting Hezbullah and ecological "terrorism".

Looks like she can also be blamed for illegal activies in her husband's campaign http://www.drudgereport.com/rc8r.htm (makes one wonder how he can make the interest payments on the loan, let alone reduce the principle)

Collapse -
Well I guess, Edward...
by J. Vega / August 4, 2004 1:02 AM PDT

Well I guess the news report that I saw about that loan was wrong, it said that such a loan was supposed to be paid off before the convention took place and the possible canidate became the official canidate.
If that report was wrong, anybody happen to know what the law is about those pre-nonination loans?

Collapse -
I heard it was indeed paid off ...
by Evie / August 4, 2004 10:17 PM PDT

... Kerry raised a lot of money before the convention.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re:Heated political fights have always been very American.
by Mary Kay / August 3, 2004 1:43 AM PDT

Heated political fights have always been very American.

Collapse -
by Josh K / August 3, 2004 5:16 AM PDT

The discourse has really sunk to a new level lately, hasn't it. For awhile now we've been subjected to

Republican criticizes Democrats = Patriotic
Democrat criticizes Republicans = Trolling

But now just being a Democrat is seen by at least one member -- a moderator yet -- as being anti-American. And he doesn't even see the irony.

Collapse -
by Mary Kay / August 3, 2004 5:32 AM PDT

Yes, you are correct. I like a good discussion and am willing to hear others out. but not only have I not been treated in kind, I have been called stupid and I don't like it. Unfortunately, I have on occassion struck back. The rediculous thing is that, even now, I am an undecided. The truth be known, I am not completely happy with either ticket. I can think of many other persons, who would have been better candidates for both parties. I am at the point now where I feel I must pick between the lesser of two evils. However, I think I will vote Democratic for the presidential candidates.And much of my decision came from reading the posts here,

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Re: I am ketchup, and I am a vegetable !!!
by Mary Kay / August 3, 2004 9:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL!
by David Evans / August 3, 2004 9:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL A French Fry?????
by Glenda / August 3, 2004 10:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
A Freedom Fry
by James Denison / August 5, 2004 4:51 PM PDT

Did I already tell about what my 5 yr old said?

We were going to Burger King drive through and I asked her what she wanted. She said french fries. I said suggestively, "Oh, you want some Freedom Fries!".

It misses something without her expression, but she immediately retorted somewhat indignantly, "No! I don't want any of THOSE fries,...I want FRENCH fries!!"

I gave up, I guess the french and keep the fries.

Collapse -
Re: A Freedom Fry
by Glenda / August 6, 2004 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: A Freedom Fry

How cute James:) Seems at least our kids don't care what the politics are as long as the French fries are good:)

Glenda

Collapse -
As many will say ...
by Evie / August 4, 2004 1:43 AM PDT

... let her roar! The more she gets out there the more it works to the President's advantage. Laura Bush was interviewed by Fox the other day. Now there is a CLASS act.

Evie Happy

Collapse -
Re: As many will say ...
by Josh K / August 4, 2004 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: As many will say ...

Laura Bush is a nice woman. Oddly, I've seen no attempts by the Democrats to demonize her. I guess we'd rather just stick to the issues. Oh well.

The more Democrats get called "anti-American" by mere virtue of their membership in the Democratic party, the advantage shifts IMO.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) She's just too good to demonize or you would.
by Evie / August 4, 2004 10:19 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.