Cameras forum

General discussion

I am just so confused picking out a camera!!

by labgeek / March 23, 2008 6:48 AM PDT

I am going to purchase my second digital camera this coming week. My first is a canon. I don't remember what model, but what I know is, it seems to take forever between shots, and the zoom is not very good. Now that my kids are into activities I need something better.

What I basically want out of a camera is something where I can snap off pictures pretty quickly in between them, and a good zoom. My son is in the percussion in band, so he's in the back. Also, like at baseball games. I want to be able to zoom in and get good shots. I didn't realize how bad my zoom was till the last band concert when I couldn't take a pic of him. I would also like to be able to video on it if possible. I would like to keep the price less than 400.00 if possible. Thanks for all your help. Kat

Oh, I don't mess with manual controls too much. I just want to be able to aim and shoot.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am just so confused picking out a camera!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am just so confused picking out a camera!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Possible camera

You might look at the Sony H9. This is from stevesdigcams.com

It averages 1.7 seconds without flash and 2.5 seconds with the flash between shots. If single shot mode is not enough for you, the H7 also offers a burst shooting mode. There is no flash usage in burst mode, but the performance was pretty good. I captured 11 images in 5 seconds and spread evenly every 1/2 second. These numbers held up for roughly 15 seconds before the camera started to slow down. Even though it slowed to around 1 second per image, it never stopped capturing images. All tests where done using automatic settings and a Sony Memory Stick PRO Dual 1GB card shooting at 8megapixel fine resolution (results may vary).

It has 15x zoom on it and produces fine pictures. It falls under the your $400 price limit. If you don't mind a smaller screen without the swivel then you could go with the H7.

You do have to expect a superzoom not to perform miracles in low light or fast action. They are compact and give a large focal range, but there are trade-offs.

Collapse -
What's your budget?
by jasonf_20000 / March 24, 2008 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible camera

Based on what you said about taking too long to take a shot, not a long enough zoom, and etc., you probably have a point and shoot compact Canon camera. Canon's are excellent cameras, but you'll need a little better Canon to get the results you want....especially if it's critical to you that you can get the exact shot of your kids in their sports activities at the exact time you want.

Can you reply back to this post and let us know how much you are willing to spend on a new camera, and then myself or someone else could make a good recommendation for you.

In the meantime you might want to search some of the other digital photography discussion boards about choosing the right camera for your needs. Fotozumi.com is one such forum that has a couple of topics about choosing the right digital camera, and you may find some useful information there -

http://www.fotozumi.com

Collapse -
Budget
by labgeek / March 24, 2008 4:37 AM PDT
In reply to: What's your budget?

I would really like to keep it below 500.00 if I could. I will check out the other forums too.

Collapse -
Take a look at this one
by jasonf_20000 / March 24, 2008 5:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Budget

There's a pretty nice package deal for the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi with the Canon 18-55mm EF-S Lens. The Camera itself is 10.1 Megapixel, which will give you good quality images, and it's fast at 3 frames per second. This speed will allow you to get the exact shot you want at the exact moment in time that you want it ... no more frustration over the delayed reaction of your older camera and missing the shots you wish you could have gotten.

Here's a link to the package I'm talking about. It's at bhphoto.com, but you can probably find it a little cheaper if you shop around. Just be sure that you buy it from a reputable dealer or you'll be sorry! B H Photo is one of the most reputable out there ... they have awesome customer service and super-fast shipping -

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/457541-REG/Canon_1236B001_EOS_Digital_Rebel_XTi.html

Oh, and one last thing. Pick up a few good books about photography at Amazon.com ... "Understanding Exposure" would be a great one to start out with and will help you get the most out of your new camera. I hope this helps!

Collapse -
Nikon d40?
by QW55 / March 24, 2008 3:07 PM PDT

the Nikon d40 can be had easily for under $500 with the 18-55 kit lens. since it is a dSLR - it is very quick.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.