Laptops forum

General discussion

I am facing a choice

by oludir / November 8, 2009 3:06 PM PST

I have the choice of either a netbook for work with an intel atom processor or an old ibm x41 tablet pc with intel pentium m. I am not sure how the processors are rated.

Any one has any good ideas which will out perform the other?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am facing a choice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am facing a choice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I don't see much difference in performance but
by Steven Haninger / November 8, 2009 6:33 PM PST
In reply to: I am facing a choice

what sort of software will be installed and what does your work entail that affect your laptop's requirements? Certainly there's something to be said for new versus older but the IBM brands of that vintage had a reputation for durability and reliability where as netbooks are "throw aways".

Collapse -
"work"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 8, 2009 8:40 PM PST

You must try out the netbook as the small keyboard and screen could be grounds for carpal tunnel and hunching over the machine. While I like netbooks (I own one for my demos) I would never place one into the workplace.
Bob

Collapse -
Atom processor is a NO NO
by tom.schavo / November 16, 2009 2:24 PM PST

As far as Atom processors are concerned, you cannot run heavy softwares on it. when i mean heavy, high graphic designing, gaming cannot be done on it. Even if you require it for work, go for other processors.
But if i were to choose atom, i would just leave it!

Message was edited by forum admin to remove link that is in most all of your posts. Your links at point are considered advertisements as you are referring to them constantly. Please cease and desist or you will no longer be welcomed in these forums. Thank you.

Collapse -
by desertofwater / November 17, 2009 4:22 AM PST

i agree with tom.. wen it comes to runing heavy applications atom processor will not be gud for that...

Collapse -
go for the pentium M
by d_adams / November 17, 2009 5:26 AM PST

I had a Dell latitude D600 with a 1.4GHz Pentium M in it once, and that thing was amazingly fast. It ran windows Xp like my Macbook Pro runs Mac OS X. Boot time was something like 35 seconds, and programs responded instantly. It was great. I'd also have to agree with the others who've said that the Atom processor is not really meant for much heavy lifting. I've used other people's Atom netbooks, and none of them run even windows XP very well, much less Windows 7, even though they usually have more memory than my old Latitude (netbooks generally have 1GB, whereas the latitude had 512MBs). Plus, these old computers were the top of the line in their day, so they were meant to last a looooong time. Netbooks are the cheapest of the cheap and not very well constructed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?