PC Applications forum

General discussion

I am currently running Windows XP home version on a Dell

Dimension 4700 and would like to be able to see all of my files not just the folders shown by using view- explorer bar- folders. Does any one have an idea or a file tree program that will answer this question?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am currently running Windows XP home version on a Dell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am currently running Windows XP home version on a Dell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use yoiue Windows Explorer and change view options

In reply to: I am currently running Windows XP home version on a Dell

Go to the Tools bar on your Windows Explorer. Choose folder options.

Then choose view and scroll down until you see Hidden Files and Folders.

Change rhe default selection to "show hidden files and folders"

There are other options you will see there that hide extensions or protected operating system files.

Collapse -
Thanks ****, I have that setting but was

In reply to: Use yoiue Windows Explorer and change view options

looking for a program or utility that would make a tree of the files located inside of the folder or folders.

Collapse -
Not sure what you mean by a tree

In reply to: Thanks Dick, I have that setting but was

Whilst many consider that Windows Explorer is limited in what it does, it will list files correctly.

You've asked for some utility that will list files as a tree, but what exactly do you mean by a tree. When we use the term 'Tree' we usually mean listing items that have some relation to one another. Such a tree would have a parent at the top, (or bottom, depending what type of tree is being used), then the child items to that parent will be listed below, (or above).

But in a computer, the files contained in a folder would often have no parent or child files. For example, a list of mp3 music tracks are just that, a list of mp3 files. How would you want them to be displayed in tree format?

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks to all that responded let me show you what

In reply to: Not sure what you mean by a tree

I was able to do with the File Print program from Kees. It was just what I was looking for.
I many times inbed folders with-in folder with-in folders and then can't find them.
Here is an example of 5 levels of folders.
After downloading and installing this free program I ran the program on my C: drive and it took about 20 minutes to complete but when it was finished I was able to find items that have been missing for a long time. The example is just a quick demo not my 20 minute run.
EXAMPLE:
TreePrint listing of: C:\Output

C:\Output
| Chapter01_Title01.mp4
| Chapter02_Title01.mp4

|
\---Level 1 Files
\---Level 2 File folders
| Rock_Music.mp4
|
\---Level 3 Files
| Pop_and_Hits.mp4
|
\---Level 4 Files
| MR_B--NS_HO---AY.mp4
|
\---Level 5 Files
Puppet.mp4
PLEASE NOTE- The different levels are all stepped over from left to right but the post doesn't show the step.
I am sure happy with the results and want to thank Kees again for the help. I did down load the $25 program to test but it was no different than the free program.
As Kees mentioned this was a program available prior to windows 95 and I used it for printing information onto a label and placing on the floppy disc containing the particular files.

Collapse -
(NT) Ahh, you meant a 'folder' tree, and not a file tree.

In reply to: Thanks to all that responded let me show you what

Collapse -
Windows omits the files by default, though...

In reply to: Ahh, you meant a 'folder' tree, and not a file tree.

Windows' Folders option displays a tree of all folders, but omits the files in that tree, so you must open the folder to view any files it contains.

John

Collapse -
and that is exactly what the file tree program...

In reply to: Windows omits the files by default, though...

will do for you. Widows shows you the folders tree and then the file tree program trees everything in that folder. It is really a time saver when you don't recall where you put a file

Collapse -
Re: filetree

In reply to: I am currently running Windows XP home version on a Dell

I used to have a free DOS-program doing that, but I don't think it has ever been adapted to show long filenames.

Anyway, http://www.008soft.com/products/file-tree-printer.htm seems to be what you want. Free to try, $25 to keep. Choose tree-view then select a folder.

Kees

Collapse -
And here's a free one.

In reply to: Re: filetree

On http://www.xcopy32.com/files.php?cat=6 search for treeprint, download and install it. If you're interested in programs like this I'm sure you'll be able to find out how to install and use it.

It's a program from Ziff-Davis from 1999. And I think I like it more than what I found this afternoon (Dutch time) / morning (PDT).

Kees

Collapse -
Look at ZTREE - a clone of XTGOLD

In reply to: Re: filetree

This one for $19.95 may show it in a format you like-download it nd take it for a trial run

ZTree is a powerful 32bit text-mode file/directory manager, modeled closely on the legendary XTreeGold(tm), but enhanced to take advantage of today's popular operating systems.

a text-mode, tree-structured file-manager - scroll down the link below to see what the program looks like....lovers of the old XTGOLD will love it,
http://www.ztree.com/

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.