TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

I am blowing JM LAB Sib&Cub speakers, what's wrong?

by REAL57VETTEGUY / February 9, 2009 1:08 PM PST

I have a Onkyo TX-SR805 receiver, PSB towers, JM LABS Sib&CUB (not using the cub sub) 12" Klipsch sub, Samsung 120 hz lcd, and PS3, I have all speakers besides the towers set to "small" the voumes for all small SIB speakers are set to between 6-8 depending upon room placement everything is set up using HDMI cables I am using direct TV as my provider. My tv volume is odd, When certain tv commercials play they seem to be 10db louder than the show or movie i was watching, movies through the blu-ray are awesome and music sounds good but I have blown both rears and sometimes on normal tv the highs sound as if all the speakers are blown. I do like occasional loud music volume. Have I purchased the wrong equipment? I also noticed that my electrician used very very small guage speaker wire when he wired the home for surround, could this cause a problem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am blowing JM LAB Sib&Cub speakers, what's wrong?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am blowing JM LAB Sib&Cub speakers, what's wrong?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
/
by jonnybones / February 12, 2009 12:49 PM PST

First: turn the violume down...that should be an easy one

Second: Commercials are almost ALWAYS louder than programming - it's normal, it sucks, live with it (I mute commercials)

Third: That receiver is a respectably powerful one. I would turn down my rear channels through the receiver menu, or at least once you replace your blown ones.

Lastly: You should tinker with the receivers EQ. If tuned properly, you do should not have to crank it to get adequate listening levels. Try emphasizing the frequencies between 700-6000 as those will be most of your vocals.

Collapse -
Blown rear speakers
by bkirby / March 24, 2009 1:40 PM PDT

All of us here in this group enjoys loud music from time to time if not just to see how many decibals can be pushed from our AV systems. And that is the real question, how loud do you want it?

A few things maybe going on here. The SID speakers will handle 75 watts/RMS, but since there are rated 75 watts max and the ohm's load at 6 (instead of 8), this will make the speakers draw more wattage from the amp. So naturally, those back speakers could get a jolt of 130-150 watts playing an action movie. Not good.

Plus, you're right. The installer would be better off using 12 guage instead of something smaller like 16 especially for longer runs.

If you like it loud, then my humble recommendation would be to keep the SR805, and get speakers which can handle the wattage. Something like the Klipsch RB-81's.

Collapse -
could be lack of power
by gabereyes / March 24, 2009 2:14 PM PDT

if your builder use really small guage wire like cat 5 size, your rear speakers will not get the power they need to play correctly.

most of the time speakers blow out do to lack of power vs too much.
if your amp cannot provide the right amount of power the speaker will move back and forth with less control causing the speaker to blow.

its not that your amp doesnt have the power, but something may be keeping the power from getting there, like to small of wire or a slightly crossed wire in the wall.

I would test the wire for short's and or replace with a bigger gauge.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.