Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Alert

I am being attacked, need solution.

by ViRTue357 / September 1, 2012 11:31 PM PDT

Here is the suspicious activity that is going on.

PeerGuardian shows my PC is sending packets to IP addresses, unrelated to any known software on my PC, on sequential ports.

Router security logs are showing [DoS Attack: IP Spoofing] from source: 192.168.1.1 (<== My routers IP in the LAN) this is also on sequential ports.

Yahoo Mail has notified me that someone else has accessed my email account from Japan and Spain.

Conclusion:
Now it seems obvious to me that the IP addresses that my PC is sending the information to are fake, as well as the IPs that yahoo detected as accessing my email address. Therefore, it would appear that I am being attacked by someone and I want to know how I can stop it. As of typing this I finished a virus scan with COMODO Internet Security a few hours ago and it found nothing. I have also run Spybot Search & Destroy and it came up clean as well.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am being attacked, need solution.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am being attacked, need solution.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why Peer Guardian? Any torrent software installed?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 1, 2012 11:39 PM PDT

I've seen this issue when folk have torrent software installed and that attack is from the media protection company you have read about. The fix was simple. Uninstall the torrent software and wait for the attack to end.
Bob

Collapse -
Doubt
by ViRTue357 / September 2, 2012 5:04 PM PDT

I do have torrent software but its not active when these attacks are occuring, so how could it be the source of the issue? Or are you saying that i'm being attacked because of PeerGuardian. Either way i'm not quite sure your advice was an attempt to help but, more of a crusade against P2P.

If I do remove this software how do you suggest that I monitor my LAN to be sure it's still not happening?

Collapse -
Not a crusade. Just laying it out so we can discuss it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 3, 2012 1:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Doubt

I use torrent software to download a current Linux distro because it's very fast so it's clear I am not crusading against P2P.

However the issue is pretty simple. If you happened to download a movie and they sniffed you out that "Media Protection" company has servers that try to interfere with your connection and try to corrupt the download.

Again, this is all well discussed and it stops after awhile once you stop the torrent software. That probably includes Peer Guardian.

-> Once in a while a member gets upset about this sort of discussion and thinks there is some crusade going on. Not from me, but you do see a crusade from those other companies.
Bob

Collapse -
Re: attack
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 2, 2012 5:13 PM PDT

If you're being attacked from outside, there's nothing you can do, except using a firewall so they can't come in. Disconnecting the modem also is quite effective, but limits your functionality somewhat.

It the attack comes from your own LAN/PC there is some software there doing it. If you can't find it, I would do a clean install of the OS on all devices. That surely gets rid of it.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?