Computer Newbies forum

Resolved Question

I am a ne user of wireless laptop...

I have a wireless connection (via router) at home but if I want to take my latop out to a friend's house in the country and they do not have any kind of internet service wireless or non-wireless - what do I need to be able to use my laptop and connect to internet? Thanks!

laptopnovice has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am a ne user of wireless laptop...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am a ne user of wireless laptop...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by laptopnovice

Collapse -
Does your cell phone work there?

In reply to: I am a ne user of wireless laptop...

Without getting into details, and not much to work with here, you may have cellular access as a possibility too.

Collapse -
Well, yes, my cellphone works there but I do not have access

In reply to: Does your cell phone work there?

on my very old (flip-style) cell phone. Isn't there a device of some sort to plug into my laptop to access wireless internet when nothing is available?

Collapse -
Still working with what's in this post.

In reply to: Well, yes, my cellphone works there but I do not have access

Since the cell phone works, one of those broadband data sticks may work. Those depend on cellular service so shop around and ask if you can return it if the location is bad.
Bob

Collapse -
My cellphone service is w/ AT&T so....

In reply to: Still working with what's in this post.

I need to get a 'broadband data stick' (at AT&T?) and you think that would work? I honestly thought there was some sort of device to plug into my laptop that would enable me to have wireless - maybe this is it....I just did not know what to get. Thank you....

Collapse -
They should explain it in detail at the store.

In reply to: My cellphone service is w/ AT&T so....

ATT is working on the cell phone there so the safe bet is the ATT stick.

If anyone has a Sprint phone that opens up the possibility for other sticks.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Great! THANK YOU!

In reply to: They should explain it in detail at the store.

Collapse -
Answer
Basically...

Then you need some satellite type ISP link. Such is used for anyone on the road or mobile as it were. Otherwise, if there is some wifi ISP available, you need to pay for that service as you would for satellite one, but you can connect practically anywhere. If that friend has a telephone then that too will work via a "telephone line" again through some paid service, when nothing else is available. There just isn't wifi everywhere or typically free as in a neighbor's wifi.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
No, I do not have telephone access -

In reply to: Basically...

I was looking for someone to tell me what 'device' to buy to plug into my laptop to access wireless out in - say - an open field? Any such thing?

Collapse -
Google for ISP service in your area

In reply to: No, I do not have telephone access -

You stated in your 1st post you connect to a home wifi network. presumably you suggest you have wifi setup in order to connect to any wifi out there. The problem is, you need to be near a wifi network in order to connect to anything. It's not just h/w you need the network provided by some ISP to finish the network via wifi. Thus, what I mentioned in my 1st post applies.

If you want to pay for some service, then that provides what you need h./w like 3G. Again, there is satellite as well and thus you buy or they supply the h/w for that upon paid service. Of course, you can go out to that field and check your results. If nothing shows up on your network monitoring s/w, as in "0/zero" networks available, you need then what I suggested, some paid for service. If you stumble across wifi network, its probably "secured" to prevent outside users from tagging on. Otherwise, if there is some network out there, *ASK* to see if you can use it. If close enough, maybe a better reception will be needed, like antennas or Yagi setup, etc..

http://mobiledevices.about.com/od/carrierfaq/a/3g-Vs-4g-Which-Is-Better.htm
http://www.nationwidesatellite.com/hughesnet/?g6500&gclid=CKDbqrqqlbECFUlN4Aod5XpYdA
http://www.starband.com/

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Sorry for not making myself clearer

In reply to: Google for ISP service in your area

I do not expect to get this wireless service FREE! I live in Austin and I am talking about using my laptop out in the country about 5 miles W of Johnson City. I KNOW MY wireless service is not going to reach there so I was simply asking what kind of device I could BUY to plug into my laptop to access the internet while out there. I think a post below mentioned a data stick which sounds like what I need. I KNOW I have to BUY this item so it will be paid service Happy I don't think I asked my question clear enough - sorry. Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Answer
You can get a hotspot

We bought a T-Mobile hotspot to connect our laptops and iPad, etc to the internet when we're out of the house and aren't by a public hotspot. The hotspot is great, you can connect 5 things to it at the same time. I just buy the prepaid month and don't have a plan. You can buy the Hotspot with or without a plan. The price of the unit is different depending on if you sign up for a contract. I even used it the other day when my cable tv & internet was down.

T-Mobile Hotspot
https://www.t-mobile.com/shop/Phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?cell-phone=T-Mobile-4G-Mobile-HotSpot

Collapse -
Thank You!

In reply to: You can get a hotspot

I will ask about the 'hotspot'.......

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.