Storage forum

General discussion

I ALREADY HAVE A HARD DRIVE

I have a 80gb seagate barracuda 7200.7 serial ata hard drive. It does not fit into my computer, (the cables are wrong) I think mine is scii instead of ata. I am wondering if I could buy something that would enable me turn this into a usb 2.0 external hard drive?

Thanks

Shelley

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I ALREADY HAVE A HARD DRIVE
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I ALREADY HAVE A HARD DRIVE
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
more info needed

In reply to: I ALREADY HAVE A HARD DRIVE

What is your computer make & model?

Unless your computer is an older Macintosh, it is likely that your computer has IDE cables (Ultra ATA or PATA) and not SCSI.

Your new Seagate 80GB Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive can be used internally if you add a SATA HARD DISK CONTROLLER CARD into a free PCI slot. There are also SATA external enclosures that use USB2.0.

Collapse -
THANK YOU VERY MUCH

In reply to: more info needed

Your information is most helpful.

Thanks again,

Shelley

Collapse -
Can you give me an idea

In reply to: more info needed

Can you give me an example of an external enclosure? and what cables I need? My computer is an AMD Semphrom 2400+ 1.66ghtz and 512 of RAM. I want to be able to get what I need ASAP. I have tonnes of pictures and videos to back up.

Thanks again,

Shelley

Collapse -
external hard drives

In reply to: Can you give me an idea

You want a 3.5'' EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE ENCLOSURE that has an internal SATA connector and an external connector of your choice--USB2.0, Firewire (IEEE 1394), or SATA. (Note that 2.5'' enclosures will hold a 2.5'' notebook HD and not a 3.5'' desktop HD.)

3.5'' SATA external enclosure (USB 2.0)

NOTE: In terms of value, you can get an inexpensive large capacity IDE (ATA/100/133) HD and insert it into a $25 IDE external enclosure.

3.5'' IDE external enclosure (USB 2.0)

IDE HD Prices after instant discount or rebate:
300GB for $90-100
250GB for about $70
160GB for about $49

Today, CircuitCity has a $300GB Seagate IDE HD for $89 (after rebate). Check online computer stores and electronics stores for weekly specials.

Collapse -
AGAIN THANK YOU

In reply to: external hard drives

Yes, that is what I looked up, I just wanted to make sure that is what I needed.

Thanks,

Shelley

Collapse -
Do you have a CD or DVD burner ???

In reply to: Can you give me an idea

If yes...that's a great way to store your PICs for now.
If not, you might consider getting one..the drives are attractively priced <$50...i.e. NEC3550A and the CD media holds about 700MBs, DVD media hold up to 4.7GB and Dual Layer DVDs hold up to 8.5GB.

WHatever you do, don't rely on anything as the single source for your data...always have a backup copy somewhere like a CD, DVD or external hard drive. I actually backup to a second internal hard drive and copy the backup to an external HDD.

Last...lots of good deals seen at http://www.techbargains.com

Any questions...drop us a note.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Thank you

In reply to: Do you have a CD or DVD burner ???

Yes, I do have a CD burner right now, but what I also wanted to do was have a place where I could put my videos so I can edit them as well, and they are not taking up a huge amount of space on my primary hard drive.

Thanks,

Shelley

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.