PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Hyperthreading is so frustrating...

by frech88 / March 21, 2007 1:19 PM PDT

How can i enable it in my pc?I have an asus p4pe,pentium
4,2.40B Ghz,Intel 845pe chipset,DDR33,FSB533,socket 478,latest award bios 1007,win xp sp2 with all the necessary updates and drivers installed.Intel applcation accelerator and chipset utility also installed.
In devise manager,my computer shows ACPI Uniprocessor PC but still uses hal.dll instead of halaacpi.dll.I can see it in my WINDOWS folder but apparently the halaacpi.dll is NOT seen in the device manager under computer drivers.I tried updating it but failed.The procedure of forcing HAL by re-installing win xp after pressing F5 is worthless.
By the way,going thru Windows website as well as Asus and Intel all point out that I have the necessary requirements.
Any ideas anyone?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hyperthreading is so frustrating...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hyperthreading is so frustrating...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hyperthreading is so frustrating...
by Stan Chambers / March 21, 2007 2:50 PM PDT

Note that not all Pentium 4 2.4 ghz processors support hyper-threading.
That's about the time frame that it was first introduced by Intel.

Collapse -
I agree with Stan Chambers
by linkit / March 21, 2007 3:28 PM PDT
Collapse -
it seems confusing
by frech88 / March 22, 2007 5:40 AM PDT

from the link i see the 2.40b Ghz and my chipset i845pe and it supports hyperthread.
See link:

The Intel

Collapse -
Your CPU is not capable of Hyper-Threading
by linkit / March 22, 2007 5:57 AM PDT
In reply to: it seems confusing
Collapse -
Bios
by Hollow06 / March 21, 2007 7:08 PM PDT

If you go into CMOS setup, you will see that HT is enable/disabled there. By default it is set to disabled. Happy luck luck Happy

Collapse -
thanks
by frech88 / March 22, 2007 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Bios

yea,maybe that's why i have been having no success in doing it...all this computer speak version so and so,inf,halaacpi,bin and so on drive me nuts...
by the way,how do i get into CMOS?
Bios is easy with the delete button but CMOS is new to me
Thanks for your patience for a newbie like me:)

Collapse -
HTT test
by frech88 / March 22, 2007 6:10 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

this is what i am looking at :

Hyper-Threading Technology requires all of the following:

Intel

Collapse -
You can't do it.
by linkit / March 22, 2007 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: HTT test

You want a shark that shoots laser beams from its head, but you only purchased a regular shark.

If you want the laser beam capability, you need to replace your shark with another that comes standard with integrated frontal laser gun.

Is that groovy enough?

Collapse -
shark?
by frech88 / March 22, 2007 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: You can't do it.

i wanna a phaser ,like the one used in Star Trek!

Collapse -
(NT) Excellent choice for long life and prosperity!
by linkit / March 22, 2007 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: shark?
Collapse -
star trek
by frech88 / March 22, 2007 7:29 AM PDT

haahaa,actually it should be LIVE LONG AND PROSPER and saluted with the standard Vulcan hand sign,V....btw,what happened to all those re-runs ? and not to forget Buffy too Wink

Collapse -
I use my poetic license to avoid unoriginality.
by linkit / March 22, 2007 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: star trek

So we don't get too far off topic, I'm glad that your problem is solved. Happy computing!

Collapse -
thanks and bye
by frech88 / March 22, 2007 7:39 AM PDT

and i think i should spend less time on HTT and more time to go where no man has gone before...Beam me up,Scotty

Collapse -
BIOS and CMOS
by linkit / March 22, 2007 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

"CMOS" is what some people call BIOS.

You simply can't achieve Hyper-Threading with a P4 2.40B CPU. The P4 2.40C and some other CPU's have this capability.

Collapse -
eeeeks,i give up
by frech88 / March 22, 2007 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: BIOS and CMOS

All this hard work for nothing....sometimes i really wanna tear my hair out...i have been looking at windows xp re:HAL,intel,asus,and my p4pe user guide and all along i felt i was on the right track.
Now i felt totally drained...ok guys, thanks a lot for your hard work and kind advice..
take care and all the best..roger and out...

Collapse -
question
by adamjc9683 / March 26, 2007 1:12 AM PDT
In reply to: BIOS and CMOS

i'm confused...Many applications i have used, such as CrystalMark, Ashampoo WinOptimizer, and others indicate that my 2.0Ghz Pentium IV Northwood is HT capable. I am running it on an IBM-made i845G/GL/GV board (49p1598). Comp model is (IBM Netvista 8305-NFU). Thing is, I can't find anything online about a 2ghz P4 with HT, nor does my BIOS make any mention of it. Also, many programs, like CrystalMark, or CPU-z say that the processor is not the OEM. In any case, anyone have any thoughts?

Collapse -
Different utilities may get you different results
by linkit / March 26, 2007 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: question
Collapse -
test
by frech88 / March 26, 2007 8:22 AM PDT

i know there is a test by intel somewhere but i can't find the link.In that test,three items vital to HTT must be present before it works.I passed only 1 of the 3 but it's ok.There are recommendations like enabling it in BIOS or even forcing HAL to be recognised in the device manager-computer section.You gotta go to microsoft support and do lots of reading and sometimes,what they suggest don't work..yikes!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.