Camcorders forum

Question

HVR - A1J 1080i Manual

by GlobalWarOnPoverty / February 24, 2015 11:01 AM PST

I am trying to find the operating manual for the Sony HDV 1080i camcorder model no. HVR - A1J. I have the 4 pin to usb firewire cable but my computer is not reading it. I am trying to transfer video footage from a mini cassette to a computer.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HVR - A1J 1080i Manual
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HVR - A1J 1080i Manual
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
PC problem?
by Terfyn / February 24, 2015 5:28 PM PST
In reply to: HVR - A1J 1080i Manual

Is the camera outputting a picture to your TV via the A/V out? If so two things to check on your PC.

The driver needs to be 1394 (legacy) before the PC will recognise the camera.
I had a problem with the 1394 cable plugs being just too short for my Canon HV20 camera. Replaced the 1394 cable with another make and this sorted the problem.

Collapse -
Answer
The HVR-A1
by boya84 / February 24, 2015 10:39 PM PST

is a miniDV tape based camcorder. The "J" designates the Japanese variant. The HVR-V1U is the NTSC variant. In a pinch you can use this manual:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/micro/hdv/manuals/HVRA1U_OM.pdf
(For completeness, the HVR-V1E is the PAL variant.)

As with 99% of miniDV tape based camcorders, the required connection for digital transfer of video from the digital tape to a computer is over firewire (also known as i.Link, IEEE1394 and DV).

USB-to-firewire cable/converter/adapter things will not work.

Your computer needs a firewire port. If your computer has a Thunderbolt port, then the Thunderbolt-to-firewire adapters work great.

Collapse -
A little more information...
by boya84 / February 25, 2015 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: The HVR-A1

The USB port on the HVR-A1 is used to get still images from the memory card only.

If your computer has no firewire (or Thunderbolt) port and you are unwilling or unable to install one, then you can use an "analog/digital converter". The camcorder's AV-out connect to the A/D converter, the A/D converter connects to the computer - some of these converters connect to the computer using USB... like those from Black Magic Design (Intensity Shuttle) and Elgato - among many others.

The HVR-A1 can record high definition, HDV format, 1080i, video. When you use an A/D converter and the AV-out, the resulting video is down sampled to standard definition - widescreen aspect ratio - video. Therefore, video resolution is reduced and the best this resulting video file can provide is 480 horizontal lines of video resolution (standard definition).

Collapse -
Answer
I have the 4 pin to usb firewire cable = rip off.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2015 11:28 PM PST

To date there has been no "I have the 4 pin to usb firewire cable" seen working. Yes folk sell them but it's a scam.

Get over it and install a Firewire card. Sorry to read this post.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.