Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

hvac

by hvac / May 24, 2005 10:09 PM PDT

I still can not get the remote assistance to work.
I have installed windows xp pro.Other people can log into me , but I can't log into them I get an error msg. win32 failed and will shut down. an the other msg. is remote host ncould not be resolved please try agin.

Im useing a westel router 237w I have turned the firewall off and turn off the virus software also.
I then checked of UPnP box and I don't know if I set up the NAT This is driveing me nuts I hear that most of all the problems are with westel routers and that they are very hard to set-up I call westel Tech. what a joke.I hope there is somebody out there that can help me with this problem. It cost me more to change from Home to PRO.
Thanks ****
P.S.
I get no help from Verizon or Westel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hvac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hvac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 24, 2005 10:30 PM PDT
In reply to: hvac
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=%22win32+failed+and+will+shut+down%22 resulted in zero hits. I wonder what you did to evoke a new and never reported error message.

Let me start with this. If you do want to get great help in these forums, always pay close attention to those error messages. Put them in "quotes" so they stand out.

I haven't had any issue with said modem/router, so I can't say that is the issue here. Also, I rarely use the Microsoft remote assistance since I consider it to be a security risk. Instead we use TightVNC when its called for.

Best of luck with your new and yet sighted errors.

Bob
Collapse -
remote assistance
by hvac / May 25, 2005 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Very odd.

answer to the reply The other computer that I did the remote with got into my laptop with no problem at all and when I tryed to get back to his desk top that is when veery thing went wrong. the first Msg. was "remote host could not resolve please try again"
then I received an other Msg."win32 nor responding and will shut down" I own a company and I need to use the remote between all of the computers at first I had a mix between Home an Pro. and have changed them to the pro. ver. and have had the same problem all the time.I feel that the problem might be in the router set up or software this is no made up story as I do not play around and trying to run my bussiness. I hope that some might help and by the way when I received the Msg. that the computer was shuting down the lap top locked up Why?. In order to get the exact msg. I will have to one of the other ask me for a remote that is when this all happens

Collapse -
About "remote host could not resolve please try again"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2005 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: remote assistance

That points to a name resolution issue. It is not a router or Microsoft issue. Your IT staff needs to define how a name to IP address name gets resolved.

There is not enough information in your post for me to hazard a guess why the name didn't get resolved.

For testing, try a command window (hint: start, run, cmd) and try PINGing the computer by name. You can also help your IT staff with the NSLOOKUP command since it will help determine what DNS needs the entries for the target machine.

Best of luck in resolving your first issue.

-> Next that shutdown issue. That reeks of some virus/spyware/trojan or just damaged OS issue. Sorry, but there is not enough detail for me to guess otherwise.

Sik the IT people on that one.

In closing, TightVNC could be easier to setup and use. Try that. And it doesn't require the Pro version.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.