Hunt Bar

by phil66 / November 8, 2004 9:20 AM PST

Good Evening Group

Dell l800r
Windows Me
Avast 4 Home
Anti-spyware,Malware,adware
IE and Firefox browsers

Due to the numerous post in c/net forum about virus,spyware,malware,adware I made the decision to install new anti-virus software,from Norton to Avast 4 home, and install all the recommended anti spyware monitor and scanners. I also istalled adwarese personnel 1.05 and ran scans with housecall,cwshredder, pest scan,Bho Demon and Hijack this and submitted log to Zeros Reams.

After 4 years operating with only Norton Yes there were items that needed to be eliminated.

I was able to clean everything with the exception of Hunt Bar which was found by Pest scan.

I have tried using manual clean-up from Doxdesk but am unable to find any files or registry items listed in their clean-up summary.

Please suggest any additional items or programs I can use to eliminate the Hunt Bar.

Ray

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hunt Bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hunt Bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Hunt Bar
by trick / November 8, 2004 10:52 AM PST
In reply to: Hunt Bar
Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 8, 2004 11:26 AM PST
In reply to: Hunt Bar
Collapse -
by phil66 / November 9, 2004 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Hunt Bar

Morning Marianna

Thanks for the link.
Ran another Pest Scan alert recieved Hunt Bar HiJacker,Windows\downloaded program files\qdow.dll
Checked googles it is IE BHO adware of Hunt Bar/qdow variant.Definition is a small downloader Active X control used to load Hunt Bat ibtin.Qdow 2 is used to load wintools.
Don Davidson Computers suggested running Spybot search and destroy.ReRan same only entry was Dso Exploit.
Started manual removal,entered cmdline per specs. and recieved message Regsvr32,no dll name specified. Then it showed usage:regsvr32 [/n] [:cmdline]] dll name I entered all as suggested.
Doxbox.com has a removal program for qdow.dll it suggest removing btiein.dll ran same and got message,
Load library("btiein.dll") failed
get last error return 0x00000485.
During both removal processes I was never able to find any of the files,registry keys,or subregistry keys they suggested needed to be deleted.In some page I rememmber seeing that this qwod.dll was attached to IE 6 and was listed in add\remove as internet tools. The only entry I have is IE 6 sp1 and internet tools. Attempted to remove IE6 per add\remove and can only add components repair or install.
Thanks for the help and advice
Ray

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 9, 2004 4:20 AM PST

Ray,

File Name: qdow.dll
Description: IE Browser Helper Object of adware Huntbar/Qdow variant. It adds a toolbar to Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer to provide searching features. It also hijacks IE home page and search bar settings to point to HuntBar's servers (http://www.trafficsyndicate.com).
Security Issues: Displays advertising message. Monitors the domain urls,title and any keywords of the each site being viewed,and sends them to its controlling servers. Can silently download and execute arbitrary code, as an update feature.

Can you find: Windows\downloaded program files\qdow.dll ??

If Yes:

Make sure you can view hidden and system files: Instructions here

Then Boot to safe mode: Instructions here

and DELETE: qdow.dll

REBOOT.

Collapse -
by phil66 / November 9, 2004 5:22 AM PST

Marianna

I have gone thru all the files(hidden and non) and registry keys looking for qdow.dll. I cannot find it nor can I find msiets.dll or btiein.dll. or anything that linked.

Ray

Collapse -
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 9, 2004 5:26 AM PST

Ray, could it be it is a FALSE POSITIVE ??

Collapse -
by phil66 / November 9, 2004 6:06 AM PST

Marianna

Very possible,have had a change in web addresses before but not anything recently or with very much frequency.
I'd say ninety percent were changes from yahoo to windows updates.

I feel a lot better about it now that you have looked at it.

We'll see if any thing happens beyond the existing problem

Thanks so very much for the help and advice
Ray

Collapse -
Ray, You're Welcome !
by Marianna Schmudlach / November 9, 2004 6:23 AM PST

as you can't find the "fishy" file - I "think" it is a False Positive - is nothing "new" for pest scan Wink

Collapse -
The hunt for Qdow.dll
by phil66 / November 14, 2004 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Ray, You're Welcome !

Marianna

After several more scans and manually looking for Qdow.dll I decided to change my anti-virus to AVG 7.0.
Initial scan showed Trojan Horse Downloader.Q down.A
in c:\ windows\downloaded program files\qdow.dll.It was deleted by AVG 7.0 and now is gone from Pest Scan.
This did not answer my question as to where it was
located but I am shed of it.
Again thanks for your help.
Ray

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.