Cameras forum

General discussion

Hummingbird lover needs good camera...

by Sweet-N-Petite88 / September 21, 2008 12:07 AM PDT

Hello! =) Wow this is my first post... =O

I've recently become interested in taking pictures of hummingbirds and want a camera of my own. I've been using my mom's Canon A540, but it has a terrible focusing problem and results in a lot of blurred shots. I've scoured the internet looking for the "right" camera that would capture the hummers well without capturing my pocketbook. You're thinking, "Get an DSLR!", right? Can't afford it. I'm looking for a digital camera under $200, which, of course, won't get PERFECT pictures but... anything is better than my mom's dysfunctional camera! This is what I want:

- Fast shot-to-shot time; enough to capture fast moving objects, like hummingbirds!
- Clear, sharp pictures
- Video mode
- Great zoom
- SD card or internal memory
- Easy to hold/grasp for long periods of time
- Doesn't suck batteries
- Uses AA's as opposed to an ION battery
- Better for nature & wildlife (ie, doesn't have to have 'face' recognition, but I will be taking picutres of other things)
- Has manual focus
- Image stabilization

I've looked at TONS of cameras for under $200 and haven't found exactly that, but I do have my eye on the Canon A590-IS. While everything seems good with this, it's bascially almost the same as my mom's only newer, and the shot-to-shot time is 2.5 secs without flash, and an agonizing 5 secs with a flash. And I do take a lot of flashed shots because my hummer feeders are under a porch. But anyway, I've also looked at several Kodaks, Fujis, and Sonys. I'm so lost. So many numbers and stats... I just want something that would be fast at re-cycling between pictures.

Does anyone own or know of a camera or cameras that would best fit my needs? Please... I'm about to go nuts!

Thanks so much,

-Kari

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hummingbird lover needs good camera...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hummingbird lover needs good camera...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Uses AA's as opposed to an ION battery"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 12:16 AM PDT

Right there you can create a very short list of cameras from the names like Sony and others. Find the ones with AA battery power and then dismiss it if it doesn't have manual focus and is not under 200 bucks.

Knowing the cameras I know about I came up with nothing left on the list.

Why is the ION battery the issue here? My old Kodak runs for about some thousand shots on a charge so my curiosity is peaked here.
Bob

Collapse -
by Sweet-N-Petite88 / September 21, 2008 2:42 AM PDT

Well my mom had a Kodak that had that type of battery and she said it was a pain. I might look at some that have that kind of battery, but popping in two fresh AA's are so easy and I can keep extras with me on the go. Aren't the ION batteries expensive to replace if they go bad? I take hummer pics many times a day and it's easy to run down the batteries, but luckily my mom has several recharable AA's. If you could, would you tell me more about the other kind of batteries the cameras use? Like ION and lithium, or whatever they are... I don't know much about them. If I find it's something I like, it will "open the lens" on my shopping a lot! =) And thank you for your reply, Bob.

-Kari

Collapse -
About expensive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 5:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply
Collapse -
=O
by Sweet-N-Petite88 / September 21, 2008 5:39 AM PDT
In reply to: About expensive.

Wow, this one only takes three hours or less to charge? My mom's AA docker takes EIGHT hours to charge a pair of them! I'm definately going to be looking at other cameras now! Well, it's not exactly what I'd asked for in the beginning but this tells me a lot! Between my mom's camera, our CD players, and our Wii, we use a TON of AAs... I hope whatever camera I can find will keep a good charge. I think my next step is to go to the store and 'touch n feel' the cameras because I'm sick of looking at them online. Well, thanks so much for all your help, Bob. =)

-Kari

Collapse -
caveat
by kalel33-20416052469708587370302374692233 / September 21, 2008 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: =O

It's better to go with a charger that trickle charges the batteries. There are some chargers that recharge in 15min. The bad thing is that it knocks down the life of the battery.

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: caveat

I use the charger Kodak supplies for their batteries. The oldest KLIC battery I have must be 3 years old and seems to be doing well.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?