TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Humming Speakers

by mfreyhol / February 28, 2009 7:01 PM PST

Okay you electrical geniuses out there. I've got a nasty hum problem here. If you can figure it out I'll owe you big time.

I have 6 tactile transducers. My receiver (a new Pioneer Elite) only has one sub pre out so I have a splitter. One line goes to the main sub and the other to the amps for the transducers. When I plug the sub into the receiver, everything is fine. But when I plug in the transducers I get a hum in ALL my speakers (yes, front, surrounds, etc).

Any time I have an amplifier plugged in (power on or off) and this second sub line plugged into that amplifier input, I get the hum. It doesn't even have to be the sub line. If I use a L or R front channel pre out, I get the same hum.

I've tried several high end amplifiers with identical results. The sound goes away when the amp is unplugged or this second output is unplugged from the receiver. I've also tried multiple cables going between the two.

Also note... I don't have the tactile transducers or speakers plugged into these amps. So it's not a fault at the speaker or in the line between the amp and the speaker. I have plugged the second amp into multiple outlets, with and without line conditioners with no change in results.

I'm stumped. I'm sure there are other things I can troubleshoot, but I don't know what they are. Anyone have any good ideas? If you do PLEASE toss em out. This thing is driving me CRAZY!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Humming Speakers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Humming Speakers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am a speaker who hums, & lately it is "At Last" by Etta
by NM_Bill / March 1, 2009 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: Humming Speakers

James that comes to mind.

Isn't the term "tactile transducers" overuse of the English language?

Do you really need a second sub line & splitter? Splitters are often a problem source despite the integral purpose of avoiding just that. Why do such things need to be made as cheaply as possible when a lot of us would be glad to pay 5 bucks instead for one that actually works well?

A nasty little ground loop in there?

Collapse -
Bass shaker? Why not invest in a high quality sub woofer
by NM_Bill / March 1, 2009 1:28 AM PST

instead?

Collapse -
(NT) I have a high quality sub... you gotta try transducers!
by mfreyhol / March 1, 2009 2:07 AM PST
Collapse -
And the question remains...
by mfreyhol / March 1, 2009 2:38 AM PST

How do I track down the cause of the fault and then how do I fix it?

I don't think it's a power source otherwise the Pioneer receiver would be humming as well.

It's not a line coming from the amp because there aren't any. It's not the cable going between the receiver and amp... I've tried several.

I don't think it's the actual amps because they're high end and I've tried multiples with the same results. And the Pioneer receiver is brand new and doesn't hum on it's own.

Anyone smarter than me have an idea?

Collapse -
cables
by bkirby / March 21, 2009 3:30 PM PDT

Have you tried attaching the spade-lug tails on the subwoofer cable to the Pioneer and the amps? This sounds like a definate gounding issue and that would at least omit that posibility...

Monster and/or AudioQuest have these if yours doesn't.

Collapse -
Spade Lug Cables?
by mfreyhol / March 21, 2009 3:41 PM PDT
In reply to: cables

What are spade lug cables?

I wound up connecting a wire from the chassy of all the amps to the chassy of my line conditioner. It's not pretty but guess what? It did the trick! The hum is just barely noticeable now.

Would the spade lug cables serve the same purpose?

Collapse -
Definately!
by bkirby / March 21, 2009 3:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Spade Lug Cables?

Spade-lug tail cables are high[er] end subwoofer cables, but have a seperate "U" shaped spade on each end which you can screw fast to the AVR and subs to control any grounding issue.

If you go to the AudioQuest site and look under innerconnects->subwoofer cables, you'll see an example.

Collapse -
Yep... I'm thinking ground
by mfreyhol / March 1, 2009 2:11 AM PST

Yes... absolutely a ground loop from what I can tell. I just can't narrow down from where. It has to be something to do with how the amps are interfering with the Pioneer receiver.

By the way, this is all top of the line stuff. The amps are parasound and the tactile transducers rock your world durring a movie. Now it's like there's something missing.

Collapse -
Sounds like a ground loop problem.
by jcrobso / March 23, 2009 6:02 AM PDT

Make sure all the amps are on the same circuit. run extension cords from one outlet to test out. John

Collapse -
Ground loop issue
by bearvp / March 23, 2009 6:10 AM PDT

I had a similar problem with my subwoofer and receiver where when I would connect my subwoofer to my receiver I would get a constant hum output from the subwoofer. I actually remedied this by taking a basic piece of wire and attaching one end to the grounding screw on the receiver (usually for a turn table or antenna) and the other end to one of the amp screws on my sub. This made it so they both defined their ground (0.0 Volts) the same and the hum went away.

You could try doing the same thing with your transducers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?