Internet Service Providers forum

General discussion

HughesNet Satellite Service

by jhost / February 10, 2008 3:45 AM PST

If you are considering broadband, Hughes should be your last option. I subscribe to the 700 to 1K plan and have never receive greater than 500K. It took the company 6 months of complaints and calls to get me to that level. I was getting 100 to 300K because of a bad component of the receiver that was originally installed.

They also have a daily download limit of 400MB. If you use itunes one time you can easily exceed that and will be cut to dial up speeds for the next 24hrs. Again, when this complaint was aired with customer service, no action. They just kept reciting the policy even thought this showed on their records as happening one time in the entire year I have owned the service. I lost the afternoon and the entire next day of my ability to do work from my home.

In summary, I would use an over the air card over this expensive and poor service if doing it again.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HughesNet Satellite Service
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HughesNet Satellite Service
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hughesnet Broadband Service
by RIK4551 / February 29, 2008 9:07 AM PST

I have the advertised 1.5mgbs service currently running under 100 mgbs. The only response their tech service could offer was that their speeds advertised speeds are not guaranteed. Has anyone found a solution to slow Hughes broadband or is this the best they can offer?

Collapse -
Avoid Hughesnet like the plague
by PaulVin / March 9, 2008 12:00 AM PST

I have had the same problems with Hughesnet: we have a 2-watt commercial dish, a small-business plan, and pay $100/month, and still get download speeds around 500k (1/3 of advertised), and upload speeds of 30-50k (1/10 of advertised). I have contacted them many, many times (probably have generated over 20 case numbers in the past year) and they have never been able to fix the problem. While they claim to be working on it, their oft-repeated refrain is that speed issues are not covered in the contract. They have refused all demands for rebates with that excuse.

Also, their customer service is the worst of the worst. It is staffed by people in India who, I think, have been given a peg-board with one square hole and one round hole on it. If your problem does not fit exactly into one of those holes, they will put you on hold for 12 minutes, then report that fact back to you. When you try to clarify the issue, they will put you on hold for another 12 minutes, then come back with EXACTLY the same response. If it wasn't so frustrating and such a waste of time, it would probably be amusing to see how many times this cycle could be repeated without ever getting your question answered. My record is four times, for a total phone call duration of about 1' 15". If that's your idea of fun, I encourage you to pony up nearly $1,000 in startup costs, plus $100/month, and enjoy your Hughesnet experience.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!