Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Hugh Baghdad Blast Destroys Hotel

by Rolway / March 17, 2004 2:22 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hugh Baghdad Blast Destroys Hotel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hugh Baghdad Blast Destroys Hotel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes it is very sad. Sorry, George, I posted this also, didn't see yours. BTW
by Rosalie / March 17, 2004 3:31 AM PST

on a another note, if it makes you feel any better, now I am too experiencing very slow loading of CNET site pages, especially Speakeasy. It's as slooooooowww as a snail crawling through molasses in the dead of Winter.:-)

Collapse -
Re:Yes, crawling thru Cnet is awful, But........

I'm sure Lee is doing everything possible to fix it. He sure is getting a lot of flack from what I see on other Forums.

Anyhow, heres a little Irish Joke for you, Rosalie.

Pat and Jimmy-Joe met and one said to the other,
"Have ye seen Mulligan lately,Pat?"
Pat said, "Well, I have and I haven't."
His friend asked, "Shure, and what d'ye mean by that?"
Pat said, "It's like this, y'see...I saw a chap who I thought was Mulligan, and he saw a chap that he thought was me. And when we got up to one another...it was neither of us." Happy

O'George

Collapse -
That joke is a winner for sure. This is my all time favorite. ....
by Rosalie / March 17, 2004 4:23 AM PST

1st Man: Oh hello, how are you, let me buy you a drink!

2nd Man: Why thank you." he replies. "Where are you from?

1st Man: Oh, I'm from Ireland," he replies.

2nd Man: You don't say. I'm from Ireland too! Let's have another round to Ireland.

1st Man: Of course!

And they both pour back their drinks....

2nd Man: So, where in Ireland are you from?

1st Man: Dublin," comes the reply.

2nd Man: I can't believe it says the first man. I'm from Dublin too! Let's have another drink to Dublin!

1st Man: Aye! why not!" And both men continue drinking.

2nd Man: So, like... hmmmm... What school did you go to?

1st Man: St. Mary's, I graduated in '62.

2nd Man: You don't say! This is bloody unbelievable, I went to St. Mary's and I graduated in '62, too!

1st Man: Noooo way???

About that time, in comes one of the regulars and sits down at the bar. "What's been going on?" he asks the bartender. "Oh nothing much," replies the bartender. "The O'Mally twins are drunk again."

Collapse -
Re:(O'Mally twins) Gooood One (nt)
by Rolway / March 17, 2004 5:09 AM PST

Collapse -
Re: my all time favorite ....

An Irishman walks into a bar and orders three glasses of Guiness, drinking them one at a time. Noticing this odd ritual, the bartender explains that the beer goes flat when poured and informs the man his beer would be much fresher if he ordered one glass at a time.

The Irishman explains he began this custom with his two brothers, who have moved to America and Australia, respectively. This is their way of remembering all the time they spent drinking together.

The man becomes a regular at the pub, well-known for always ordering three beers at once. One day he walks in and orders only two beers. Assuming the worst, a hush falls among other patrons.

When the Irishman returns to the bar to order his second round, the bartender quietly offers his condolences. The man looks confused for a moment, and then explains, "No, everyone's fine. I gave up beer for Lent."

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
Re:Hugh Baghdad Blast Destroys Hotel
by Angeline Booher / March 17, 2004 3:32 AM PST

"Progress combines with chaos in Iraq" was a comment I just heard while watching the story.

Again civilians have been the target.

It is bothersome that there are rumbles that perhaps the reins cannot be turned over to the Iraqis on June 30. The country is described as being split.

"Experts" recommend the coalition force be replaced with a UN force.

I dunno if that would help, as all westerners appear to be at risk.

Angeline

Collapse -
Re: Hugh Baghdad Blast Destroys Hotel
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / March 17, 2004 4:10 AM PST

Hi, Angeline.

The one advantage of transferring nominal military control to the UN (presumably with an American General in charge) is that by doing so we'd probably get at least 10-20,000 troops from other countries that won't contribute to what's generally seen elsewhere in the world as an "American occupation force." Spain and the Netherlands, for example, almost certainly will be pulling out their 2,000+ troops if no such tranfer of authority occurs.

-- Dave K.
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
During recent statements Annan put forth...........
by Del McMullen / March 17, 2004 6:13 AM PST

.....that the UN is ready and willing to step in,
and that the Security Council would be willing to
pass a Resolution creating a multi-national force
once the security situation was stabilized.

The UN doesn't want in anything they either aren't
assured success, or there aren't sufficient others
to hide behind.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Hugh Baghdad Blast Destroys Hotel
by Rolway / March 17, 2004 4:18 AM PST

Hi Angeline;

Its seems like theres no end to it, or peaceful solution to get any kind of results over there.

George

Collapse -
It doesn't look as if westerners are the ones at risk. Looks like Iraqis are ..
by Rosalie / March 17, 2004 4:31 AM PST

being targeted. And not by other Iraqi factions but outsiders. Don't know why unless they just want the US forces out. But why would they care if the US forces were there?

Collapse -
Re:It doesn't look as if westerners are the ones at risk. Looks like Iraqis are ..

Hi Rosalie;

I think every country over there wants a piece Iraq, more for the oil and is afraid the US will be the controlling force. Just looks that way to me Anyway

George

Collapse -
Re: westerners at risk

Hi, Rosalie.

Well, that hotel was frequented by small business entrepreneurs (Western and from other Arab countries) looking to help rebuild Iraq. But supposedly part of the goal of targeting soft Iraqi targets is to get the citizens complaining that we can't protect them.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
It might not have been the target.
by Dan McC / March 17, 2004 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: Re: westerners at risk

I heard reports this morning that the car was still out in the street when it exploded, not driven through the front door as usual. It also may be the case that the car was moving when it exploded. This hotel may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Dan

Collapse -
Re:Re: westerners at risk
by Roger NC / March 18, 2004 12:00 AM PST
In reply to: Re: westerners at risk

It also seems part of the goal is to make the Iraq's frighten to work with the occupation, even in trying to set up a new Iraq government.

There have been killing after killing of anyone perceived to be co-operating with occupational forces it seems.

But bascially it seems that any killing will do for them. If they can't get troops, they'll take civilians. And by killing anyone, foreign citizens or Iraqis working with them, that is working with the occupation forces, they hope to isolate them and make the forces hated.

RogerNC

Collapse -
Just add a bit of mental perspective............
by Del McMullen / March 17, 2004 6:19 AM PST

It appears this 'hotel' was just another building sandwiched in between residences.

The manager of that hotel was interviewed by CNN and he said there were NINE (9) guests registered in the hotel.

So, appearantly, the majority of the casualities were in the homes surrounding.

It was also reported that American service personnel attempting to get into the dirt and assist in the search and rescue were chased away by the Iraqi's.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!