Rant

Huge lag spikes on wireless

Hi,

I'm having constant lag spikes. I use DPC Latency checker http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

On both my desktop (using PCI wifi card) and my laptop I have lag spikes. This is a screenshot of the spikes http://i.imgur.com/cyoLq.png. Although it says its my hardware problems, I doubt its true, as it happens on both devices.

As a gamer this is truly irritating.

Do you have any idea how to fix this problem?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Huge lag spikes on wireless
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Huge lag spikes on wireless
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Re: lag spikes

Maybe it's the router. Maybe it's interference with a nearby router (your neighbours) operating on the same or an adjacent channel. Maybe it's a hacker using your unprotected wireless router. Maybe it's some background program that took a millisecond of the CPU or Windows doing its housekeeping.

For gaming it's adviced to use a wired connection. With a desktop that's usually easy to do, since it stays on the same position so it's a one-time operation to have a cable there. The same, of course, if you use your laptop usually at the same place (and not so often at other locations, when at home).

It's worth an experiment at least, because it eliminates all wireless issues (hackers, interference, the wireless logic of the router). Changing the channel you use, of course, is a very easy test.

Kees

- Collapse -
That's normal.

WiFi is in the wide open so a neighbor, another PC or a microwave oven can interfere. Gamers learn quickly that WiFi is not the connection of choice.

Eventually they move back to the wired connection and even turn off the WiFi in the router.
Bob

- Collapse -
Spikes/wifi

Absolutely, that isn't uncommon and as you said, if you are gaming, wireless is NOT the way to go, too many variables, can bounce around like a yo yo.

CNET Forums