General discussion

"Huffing"- Beware! Check around your homes!

My local TV has been doing a series on this, including interviews with parents of children who died from huffing common products found around our homes. These include aerosols, volattile solvents (even felt-tipped pens), gases (one boy died from huffing an air conditioner), nitrites (room deodorizers)

Abusers, primarily adolescents, inhale chemical vapors from a variety of substances, many of which are common household products. These young people abuse inhalants in order to obtain a euphoric effect and are often unaware of the potential risks, which include brain damage and death. Some adults also abuse inhalants, particularly nitrites. Adult abusers often inhale substances in order to enhance their sexual experiences.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5200-6130-0.html?forumID=50

This problem has been around for quite a while, but has been out of the big picture due to illegal drug use.

Angeline


click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: "Huffing"- Beware! Check around your homes!
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: "Huffing"- Beware! Check around your homes!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) they dont relize how deadly it is
- Collapse -
Derek was about ten years old

and came into the house completely disoriented and claiming to be sick to his stomach.....and as soon as I got near him I could smell gasoline fumes. I knew immediately what he had done and took him to the hospital to be checked out. He basically hung around until he 'sobered' up and when we got home I told him that if he wanted to die, I would accommodate him by kicking his *** until he did. I told him that without him around and having his brain intact, I didn't have anything to hang around for either so if I went to jail for my 'mercy' killing I was OK with that.

He never did it again..........But I have to tell you, it was one very scary time to know that he did this to himself voluntarily. I think I went through a little more than two years threatening to kill him more than anything else over the stupid stuff he was doing and chances he took. He was NOT an easy child to raise......but once he got into the tenth grade, he turned into somebody I didn't recognize anymore and I just knew I wanted THIS child instead of the other one.

TONI

- Collapse -
Had a neighbor kid

probably 10 or 12 at the time die in his basement huffing gas. I think I was a junior in high school at the time. It was mind boggling to me.

- Collapse -
Response
http://www.cbc.ca/news/interactive/davisinlet/

In November 2000 the community of David Inlet in Labrador found itself the focus of national scrutiny because of substance abuse. Many young children in Davis Inlet were found sniffing gasoline fumes, risking brain damage and possibly death. One year later, Stephen Puddicombe of CBC Radio News returned to Davis Inlet and found that the community appeared to be enjoying a change for the better. While there, Stephen took some pictures that capture life in the community today.
- Collapse -
Some links not working
- Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The link given is the create new discussion option
- Collapse -
The 'poor man's drugs'

which would include kids w/o income. Most hurt the brain and liver, maybe other things as well. Probably same reasons as child suicides, except that simple peer pressure often suffices for drug use. How sad.
Regards, Doug in New Mexico

- Collapse -
Nice that TV helps

Nice that the newsies tell the kids what products to use and how to do it. A local high school last year had a talk with the students about the dangers of huffing whipped cream. A week later, we fired 6 of them doing it in one of our stores. If they hadn't been told about it, they wouldn't have been doing it.

- Collapse -
Catch 22 it seems ...

... same with eating disorders. What teenage girl would know about ipecac? All the articles on anorexia and bulimia detail very well the tricks and how to hide it from the parents Sad

Evie Happy

- Collapse -
Here's the link ! Thanks, Steve G !!!

CNET Forums

Forum Info