General discussion

HUD, 10 years ago. Lest we forget.

Has anything really improved with HUD. It was used as one of the main clubs against established poor white neighborhoods under Urban Renewal program which followed up with high rise projects as a means of forced integration policies of the 60's and 70's. Not much of a success was it? This article is from 10 years ago, but good for historical purposes, lest we forget the mistakes of the past. For those whose browser won't see the page properly, I've included a copy of the page here instead.

I'm also wondering how much Recovery money is being funneled to HUD to continue it's activities in manipulating the real estate markets today. We talk about the Clinton Administration, Barney Franks, his Fannie Mae lover, Fannie Mae and other organizations whose force against lending institutions brought about subprime lending for housing, but the real 800 pound gorilla in the room has always been HUD. Compared to the damage HUD has done for decades, those others are just 50 pound jumping, screaming monkeys.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: HUD, 10 years ago. Lest we forget.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: HUD, 10 years ago. Lest we forget.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Contrasting Viewpoints
The Black viewpoint on what HUD was up to and how it adversely affected the populations living in HUD controlled housing areas.

The White viewpoint of how HUD deliberately destroyed existing neighborhoods with their "projects" placed there. See page 14 about the Peabody.

Is it simply a black vs white matter? Or problems caused mostly by government interference in neighborhood demographics? Was the results happenstance, or deliberately directed? Whites believe it was deliberately directed in support of forced integration. Blacks believe it was deliberately directed AFTER the projects were in place to destroy them as a race, to enslave them to a drug economy with the end result being addiction, dirty money, prison.

Is this still going on today? Well, would you believe in 2006 in New Orleans, it is?

http://dirtysouthbureau.com/2006/06/19/new-orleans-projects-to-be-destroyed/

Last week HUD unveiled its largest plans to date to restructure the city of New Orleans by eliminating four of the city?s ten housing projects, St. Bernard, BW Cooper, CJ Pete and Laffite. For the tens of thousands of you folks who used to live there and are trying to come back to New Orleans, sorry, but the feds have decided in their wisdom that the places that you lived for decades need to be redesigned so as to serve you (and, more importantly, some prominent developers and property owners) better. Sorry if this causes any inconvenience, such as being homeless for the next five or six years while we rebuild.

Perhaps the best available study of what is really going on with these redevelopments is New Orleanian Brod Bagert jr.?s 2002 master?s thesis on the St. Thomas redevelopment. That?s right. We don?t warehouse the poor any more- not when we find that those warehouses are sitting on prime real estate. And these ?icons of failed federal policy? in Keller?s words, will be going to the wrecking ball to make way for the a newer, whiter, more affluent New Orleans- oh, and one with more big-box superstores.

What?! You mean HUD has "gone white"?

So, where is the truth now about HUD? Is it the past? Or some new direction for the future? Should it even exist anymore?
- Collapse -
RE: Is this still going on today?

Is this still going on today? Well, would you believe in 2006 in New Orleans, it is?

Shouldn't that be

Is this still going on today? Well, would you believe in 2006 in New Orleans, it WAS?

today is 2010

- Collapse -
It would seem...

It would seem it went on after 2006. A december 2008 story in the local New Orleans paper said:

HUD, as a federal agency, is ineligible for most FEMA financing. But HUD argued, successfully, that the 286 brick, World War II-era buildings in the Big 4 posed an "immediate threat to public safety, " Thomas said, causing FEMA to pay for their demolition as an "emergency protective measure."

Another story published in the same month said:
Before the end of the year, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development will break ground in its grand plan to build mixed-income communities to replace the city's "Big Four" public-housing complexes: B.W. Cooper, C.J. Peete, Lafitte and St. Bernard, HUD officials say.
Despite financing problems caused by the bleak economy, "everything is on track" to create 1,904 new apartments within the next two years, said Anoop Prakash, deputy chief to HUD Secretary Steve Preston.
But even if the agency does break ground in December, it will be six months late. That puts the projects on a break-neck pace, in order to put the new apartments in use by the end of 2010 -- the deadline for developers to cash in on Gulf Opportunity Zone low-income housing tax-credits, slated to finance more than half of HUD's $636 million endeavor.

- Collapse -
and if I'd said..,.

..."last month" you'd have said this is another month, if I'd said "yesterday" then you'd have said it's "today now", etc, ad nauseum. Are you really believing these things happen only month by month, or change year to year?

Want some more fun? Here's some HUD properties in our county. Click on the "Families" one. Isn't that a sweet looking picture of a mother and her child. Notice how white and blonde they both are? Trust me when I say that's NOT what you find in those communities. Could HUD be engaged in false advertising? I'd say so. Check the links below to find out what REALLY goes on in those communities. Oakleaf is NOT a HUD owned community, but one built under a federal Low Income
Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program and PRIVATELY owned, which means OWNERS who care about their property. That's the ONLY one of the "Family" places you might find that woman and her child. Of course those pictures are clip art from a package the government uses, as you can find out if you investigate. You may run into those same pictures on sites other than our county housing site.

Read the stories of crime in Meade Village.

Here's another wonderful HUD accomplishment in this county.

- Collapse -
Current situation...
- Collapse -
(NT) are these "community organizers"?
- Collapse -
Nothing gotten free or cheap will ever be treated

in the same way as something earned with ones own sweat. I think we're on HUD2 around here and the blighted areas remain in slightly better repair after being rebuilt again. I suspect, however, that many of those who once lived there, have moved out into other neighborhoods that were vacated during forced school integration efforts....at least in my town, anyway. I know right now that school busing costs are under scrutiny as many buses aren't even 1/2 full. TPTB seem to be considering that having kids go to their own neighborhood schools might offer something of a solution. Gee, how many meetings did it take to come up with that idea?

- Collapse -
Integration in Tampa in the 70's

Closed all the black schools, assigned street blocks in predominant black neighborhoods to various white schools, bussed all black children out of neighborhood to the mostly white schools. The result? At the local high school I attended it started with 5, maybe 6 buses of these students. Many were unruly, felt disenfranchised from their community, failed even to successfully relate to blacks who were already attending the school being from upwardly mobile black families who had worked to escape those neighborhoods, and eventually by end of that first year only 2 buses were coming to the school, because all the rest of the students on those buses had dropped out. All black high schools had been closed. It was decades before any were opened again and I think Middleton became a middle school instead, not sure about Blake.

At least integration in schooling was achieved, at cost of extra buses, and loss of black students who resented being torn from their own neighborhoods. Sense of black community that had surrounded the high schools for generations before, destroyed. Right on the heels of that came Urban Renewal to uproot many of them. Some ended up outside the city in a HUD project called "Pioneer" village or city, I can't recall the last half of the name. Destroy the community, close the schools, tear down housing, ship many outside the city limits so Tampa didn't foot the bill anymore. That's government for you.

- Collapse -
Beautiful new housing and grounds here

Old ones were demolished in two developments, and the others are to undergo the same.

These are much more attractive than many of the apartment complexes around town. Any one who allows drugs or drug dealers in their home are evicted. There were a couple of high profile cases of elderly grandmothers being shown the door, so the residents know this is not an empty threat.

I understand that in some US communities units are being made available for special-term purchase by the tenants,

It all relates to pride in ones home. I have said I thought it was a mistake to build public housing in large complexes instead of scattering them around the cities.

But I suspect there were those that feared some "poor" person might end up living on their street.

Angeline

- Collapse -
New ones always look fairly nice

It's what happens in them in less than 10 years usually from the tenants.

Explain to me though, how the woman in the story only paid $12 per month rent on a 30% income level which meant a monthly income of $36, yet she had a car to drive? She ran a store from her apartment? I was immediately thinking of that woman in New Orleans who was complaining about her housing while sitting in front of a huge new plasma screen TV and her apartment, at least on the inside looked really great. What amazes me is how these people feel "entitled" to this.

CNET Forums