Speakeasy forum

General discussion

"HUBRIS, meaning pride or arrogance, is a very human flaw

by Ziks511 / May 23, 2006 10:45 PM PDT

that in Greek mythology [and more particularly in Greek Drama viz Oedipus] often led to tragedy....

"Too much pride has been a theme of the Bush administration. After capturing the presidency by judicial decree, they governed as if they had a mandate, running roughshod over those who disagreed with them.

"Winning the second time by a clear but narrow margin, Bush declared, "I've got some political capital, and I'm going to spend it."

"Spend it he did, and now there's almost nothing left.

"The arrogance is mind-boggling. Bush has taken unprecedented powers for himself, using the war on terror to justify his imperium. The tyrant is the child of Pride, said Socrates, and we are coming much too close to tyranny.

"Bush thinks he can ignore the law by keeping secrets from Congress. That he can change laws passed by Congress by issuing contrary signing statements. That he can trample the Constitution and amass detailed data on more than 200 million Americans who aren't suspected of any crime. And that he can claim he's just doing it to fight the terrorists, while he leaves the ports unguarded - and that we will believe him. Such hubris!"

http://www.centredaily.com/mld/centredaily/news/opinion/14637860.htm

Clearly I'm not the last person to reach for Classical analogies or the word Tyrant when it comes to George W. (possibly the most arrogant and flawed person on the planet) Bush.

I was however one of the first.
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=45874&messageID=542828

He is a walking talking (sort of) adverisement for Hubris and its pitfalls. In my opinion there is no pit large enough to accommodate him and the damage he has done to the Governmental process in the United States.

Rob, a not quite lone voice in the wilderness.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "HUBRIS, meaning pride or arrogance, is a very human flaw
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "HUBRIS, meaning pride or arrogance, is a very human flaw
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think the biggest problem is
by Diana Forum moderator / May 23, 2006 11:21 PM PDT

only surrounding himself with yes-men and women. Anyone who disagrees with him finds themselves out rather quickly.

He's right and God told him so.

Diana

Collapse -
What BS
by Evie / May 24, 2006 11:18 PM PDT

The notion that "God told him so" coming from a Christian who should understand better Bush's relationship with God is rather offensive. But you got your cheap dig at Bush in.

Collapse -
bush speech writer defends
by WOODS-HICK / May 24, 2006 11:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
some history on bush speechwriter
by WOODS-HICK / May 25, 2006 12:11 AM PDT

I wondered what might shape his speech-writing. imbo it is best to find the source of the spring before you drink the water.

link to a gerson bio

Collapse -
Are you astonished that Bush is a Christian...
by EdH / May 25, 2006 2:51 AM PDT

or has Christians working for him? So what?

Collapse -
sorry I do not get your point
by WOODS-HICK / May 25, 2006 2:58 AM PDT

I was giving background to another reply

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Okay, you don't like Bush. We get it, already.
by Cindi Haynes / May 24, 2006 1:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Nor dislike, HATE...
by EdH / May 24, 2006 1:38 AM PDT

Pure irrational, venomous, foaming at the mouth hate. Are we supposed to compare the President to Son of Sam or lie and claim God is tellng him what to do (Rob KNOWS it's a lie; we've been over this before) or call him a tyrant? Isn't that slightly contrary to Lee's request for civility?

I've hit the nuclear button again.

Collapse -
I despise Bush for documented reasons, most of them come
by Ziks511 / May 24, 2006 4:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Nor dislike, HATE...

from Mainstream media accounts like this one. I don't like his ignoring the Constitution or the law of the land more than 750 of which he hs said dont' apply to him. Your characterization of my views bears no resemblance to the actual views I hold or the reasoning behind them, Please stop putting words I didn't say and thought I didn't think into my mouth. Bush has used executive privilege more than any President in history and probably more than all the Presidents in history combined. FDR with a real war on two fronts trod on the constitution far less, but I deplore that too. I dont lie, but thanks for the personal attack twice. I don't recall saying that you lie, though I have certainly gotten that impression, but I am not saying it. It is an opinion I hold in confidence. Like everyone else here I pick news items that I find important and credible. I get my news stories from the Mainstream Media where they fact check the story, and I usually have more than one source. I don't patronize the paid political spew factories like FoxNews and NewsMax and all the rest. Bush believes he is above the law, he's said so on TV.

If you dont'like the truth about your little political hack, tough. You elected him.

Rob.

Collapse -
Contrary to what you
by TONI H / May 24, 2006 9:00 PM PDT

prefer to believe GWB was elected TWICE.....most of what you spew to be credible facts regarding his behavior and policies as President came to light prior to the SECOND election, and he was STILL re-elected. He still has a year and a half to serve and then you will be rid of him, Rob, but be careful of what you wish for because the NEXT election could very well be the true nightmare you believe you are in right now, depending upon who gets to sit in that hotseat the next time.

And I hope that if it is the liberal you want that you are just as adamant about coming in here and complaining non-stop with your mainstream media stories about him/her about what a joke we have for a President again because I suspect it will be far worse than anything you believe is going on right now.....however, I suspect that you will continue to blame GWB for everything again that happens with the new President because of what you see to be a mess he will leave behind for others to clean up.

The problem with that theory, however, is that every President has had a previous mess to clean up that they inherited, and they've done it however they felt possible. Some ideas worked well; other ideas made the problem worse, and history has proven that over and over again.

No matter what you believe, the war in Iraq isn't going to be over soon and will become an even worse situation should the 'new' President pull our troops out due to civil pressure to do so. Also, no matter what you believe, if GWB really believed he WAS above the law, he would have been impeached already or at the very least a full investigation and impeachment charges brought like they were for Clinton. Nothing has ever turned up that convinced people in authority to begin that process or even consider it on a serious level. There are some laws that, during wartime, the President has the ability to go one step further than the law allows, and that doesn't make him a 'law-breaker' even though you truly wish it were so.

You can't do anything about GWB sitting in that chair so why not give it a rest until the next election and then tackle the new fall guy who doesn't play according to the rules YOU think he/she should be following? It would sure be nice to come into SE for a change and not see your threads go into the toilet immediately just because you derive so much pleasure out of bashing our President repeatedly and in such book-length admonishments in an attempt to prove your point. You forget that your point stopped counting when he was elected....twice....and neither he nor anybody with the power to do your wishes are paying any attention. Maybe that's really the part that's yanking your short hairs so badly.......

TONI

Collapse -
But...but...
by EdH / May 24, 2006 11:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Contrary to what you
Clearly I'm not the last person to reach for Classical analogies or the word Tyrant when it comes to George W. (possibly the most arrogant and flawed person on the planet) Bush.

See! That proves it! Whatever it is. (not a zinger or slander at all is it?)
Collapse -
Support just this one statement with concrete examples
by Evie / May 24, 2006 11:03 PM PDT
FDR with a real war on two fronts trod on the constitution far less [than Bush]
Collapse -
I prefer CHUTZPAH
by TONI H / May 24, 2006 2:35 AM PDT

to describe the President, and using the English connotation....heheheh

"Though originally referring to a negative quality, the word chutzpah has developed some interesting positive connotations in English usage, while generally remaining harshly negative when used by English-speaking Jews. In Hebrew, chutzpah is used indignantly, to describe someone who has outstepped the boundaries of accepted polite behaviour for selfish reasons, while in English chutzpah can be spoken in admiration of non-conformist but gutsy audacity. Leo Rosten in The Joys of Yiddish defines chutzpah as "gall, brazen nerve, effrontery, incredible 'guts', presumption plus arrogance such as no other word and no other language can do justice to."

There is another term I would use for him but the cnet filter would wipe it out. It begins with a B and ends with an S and is five letters long with one consenant letter doubled before the S. They can be seen on bulls pretty easily........

TONI

Collapse -
Hmmmmmmmm.......
by Glenda / May 24, 2006 3:46 AM PDT

That seems to describe your own afflictions Rob! Looked in the mirror lately?

Collapse -
The pot calling the sauce pan black.
by Kiddpeat / May 24, 2006 3:52 AM PDT

You may see HUBRIS in the mirror IMCO.

Collapse -
Wait a second
by dirtyrich / May 24, 2006 4:18 AM PDT

didn't you also just make a post about logical fallacies in arguments?

Collapse -
How's the book coming?
by Evie / May 24, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

Maybe you should spend more time on it rather than just fiddling here warming up.

Collapse -
Re: Hubris
by MarciaB / May 25, 2006 1:40 AM PDT

Sometimes, before pointing a finger at another, one must look to see how many fingers are aimed back at themselves.

Wink

I gotta' admit, Rob, that your self-professed practice sessions in communication are becoming quite cumbersome to wade through. I try ... really I do ... but when an author always has the same plot and ending to his/her story, the readership becomes a bit disheartened. I have to believe that you have more "range" than what you are displaying here.

Take care,
--Marcia

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?