Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Hub Vs. Switch Problem

by hiten_sharma / November 3, 2003 4:58 PM PST

We have 15-25 computers running in our orgnisation. One computer is Win 2000 Server and others are Win2k Professional connected via 8 port hub, cat 5 cable (D-LINK made), RJ45 Jacks (Wall mounting). Everything was fine till we changed hub to 24 port switch. Now no computer is able to ping each other. It gives request time out error. Then somebody told to decrease the lan card speed from 100mb full duplex to 10mb half duplex (He gave the reason that electrical wires may be running near lan wires, which is true as at some point they are running close to each other). All cables are running underground and in the walls. For testing, we laid a calbe outside the walls and it worked on 100mbs full duplex speed but it still gave timeout error after 50-100 successfull pings. Sombody also told us that our calbe is not 100mbs comptable.

Please let us know, what is the actual cause of this problem. Everything works fine on hub but speed is very slow.

Thanks in advance

Hiten

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hub Vs. Switch Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hub Vs. Switch Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Hub Vs. Switch Problem
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2003 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: Hub Vs. Switch Problem

I wonder if you haven't told the full story here. Why would you need ping?

Or are you writing that any machine doesn't work at all on the new switch? If so, the switch may have failed or indeed you don't have CAT5 (category 5) wiring.

Bob

Collapse -
by kelsjon3 / November 9, 2003 6:01 AM PST

Are you now adding more computers to the network because you have more available ports? If so, only connect the computers that were in the 8-port hub originally for testing purposes.

Collapse -
by dkingery / November 11, 2003 2:08 AM PST

I have seen this before. I replaced a 10MB 16 port HUB with a 10/100 Switch. Most of the computers on the network went off-line. The nic?s and the switch showed connectivity, but data would not flow. I found only the computers with 10MBs cards wore working. So I forced the 10/100 cards to 10MBs and it worked. This is not a good solution. So I investigated. I found that the CAT5 was incorrect. The last guy to run the CAT 5, did not wire the plugs correct, so the cable was unable to talk at 100. I had to replace all the fittings, and wire correct. I also put in some STP (Shielded Twisted Pair), in the parts of the factory that had high electrical noise.

So, you must check the connectors to make sure that they are correct.

Then a second issue, the company had two E-machines. Nothing I did could get the nic?s in those E-machines to work with that switch. Temped in a new drop, moved the E-machine to the same room with switch, changed the nic speeds, nothing worked. I finally had to install a second smaller switch that the e-machines would work with.

Collapse -
by robcambra / November 25, 2003 3:50 AM PST

It sounds very possible that your CAT5 cable (assmuning its CAT5) is not terminated correctly. There are two wiring standards, T568A and T568B (most everyone uses the B standard). Go to http://www.duxcw.com/faq/network/diff568ab.htm for a color map. If your plugs don't look like one of these, you can run at 10Mbps but not 100Mbps.

Cheers
RC

Collapse -
request timeout problem
by ashishpan / November 17, 2007 12:52 PM PST

We have 15-25 computers running in our orgnisation. One computer is Win 2000 Server and others are Win2k Professional connected via 8 port hub, cat 5 cable (D-LINK made), RJ45 Jacks (Wall mounting). Everything was fine till we changed hub to 24 port switch. Now no computer is able to ping each other. It gives request time out error.

Collapse -
Go back to what worked.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2007 10:41 PM PST

It appears you have some defective gear.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.