Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

HUAWEI-E220

by bettyinsweden / September 18, 2008 4:51 AM PDT

I have the above modem. There are two of us that use this modem.We sit on opposite sides of a table,barely two feet apart. Perhaps this is a dumb question, but here it is anyway. Do I have to have a router for both of us to use this modem at the same time? Is there not some kind of splitter available? We have been passing the cable back and forth. However I think that this is hard on the USB ports. We are part of the over 70 crowd and do not understand the tech stuff. So your help would be appreciated.
Betty Dahlstedt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HUAWEI-E220
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HUAWEI-E220
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry no.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 5:44 AM PDT
In reply to: HUAWEI-E220

This device is not compatible with today's routers.

There are some routers such as you find at 3gstore.com but this modem is not one I see offered.

Bob

Collapse -
actually you can get routers
by mauli808 / November 26, 2008 5:00 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry no.

hi. there are routers out there... for example see dovado or dreytek, or search this on youtube: Huawei E220 in Dovado USB Mobile Broadband Router, UMR
i am not sure if i need a router. my modem hangs when i plug my network (LAN) cable into my computer. i want to network my house (not share the net, just connect to receiver and xbox) through a network hub switch but when i reboot my computer, my modem wont work. can anyone help please?

Collapse -
". my modem hangs when i plug my network (LAN) cable into
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2008 5:23 AM PST

". my modem hangs when i plug my network (LAN) cable into my computer. "

So you have a defective modem. get that fixed first then move to the next issue.

Collapse -
how do i know?
by mauli808 / November 26, 2008 5:41 AM PST

ok. but my modem works fine... it just doesnt like my network hub. i was thinking of getting a router but i want to do the cheap option 1st. i have done this previously with dsl modem routers, but not with the huawei

Collapse -
Sorry are you recanting?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2008 5:43 AM PST
In reply to: how do i know?

I only have your words here. If I take your word, then you've told me the modem is defective. Fix that first.

Collapse -
ok
by mauli808 / November 26, 2008 6:30 AM PST

will try again, but how can i fix something when i dont know what the problem is? i would like to know if anyone else has this problem. do you have experience with this modem? have you done what i am trying to do?

Collapse -
I've worked with many modems.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2008 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: ok

Not an one has 'locked up' when connected to routers or PCs. As you are telling me it does that I have to take your word that it has failed.

Collapse -
works
by mauli808 / December 6, 2008 3:23 PM PST

friend came over, changed some settings, all is good. now i have a network with my modem, albeit no internet network.

Collapse -
u got blown-off cos ur old
by _ryan82 / September 28, 2008 4:42 PM PDT

hey betty.. i felt bad cos tha last reply u got was kinda un-helpful, so i signed up to cnet to let u know that there are plenty ov ways2 share ur modem without unplugging it & passing it.

im gonna assume that both computers are using Windows and both have networking capability, because Windows lets u share an internet connection. At the very least, this gives u a starting point from where to begin investigating stuff.

If both ur computers CANT network, then u'll have to keep using the buddy system and make sure ur friend pays u half tha money for the internet! dont trust anyone over 70..

if u CAN network (say they both have network cards or wireless), but they are not connected, then u need to start investigating there.

Maybe u need to buy an Ethernet "Crossover" Cable for about $5 to do this. MAKE SURE its a crossover cable, this lets u connect PC to PC WITHOUT a router, hub or switch. Make sure the cable is at least as big as ur two feet, or about 3 metres.

SO, u must get tha two machines talking to each other. Sounds hard, but if ur really 70, u've done plenty ov stuff thats wayyy harder. Maybe skip bowls for the day and u'll be better than Gatesy in no time.. (Remember, the best way2 learn, is2 juss try stuff and if u f*ck it up, totally blame tha person next to u..)

K.. next, if uv got ur networking side all done, then u need to research 'ICS' or internet connection sharing.. there are even free programs u can download that will make the job easier for u. the biggest thing that will screw u around during the networking & ICS process is a FIREWALL - so disable that first & switch it back on later - once u know u got it all working. then u'll know whats stuffing u up.

Since Im dribbling so much today, I will summarise:

- Do ur two machines have network capability?
NO: 1. Keep Using the Buddy System
---------------------------------------------------------------
YES:
1. Get them networking together
2. Investigate ICS / Internet Connection Sharing
3. Disable Firewall
4. Share the 'Huawei E220' modem
5. Enable Firewall
---------------------------------------------------------------

Collapse -
see dovado
by mauli808 / November 26, 2008 5:01 AM PST

dovado make a router, they are from sweden!

Collapse -
Huawei E220 router
by gschan99 / December 30, 2008 2:10 PM PST
Collapse -
could support multi-user through HUAWEI D100 ROUTER
by hanmana / September 29, 2010 12:44 PM PDT

one modem could be use in one person, you need a usb router to share the splitter, i found an HUAWEI D100 which is compatible with all huawei modem, hope it helps. modem3g.com/d100-router-p-38.html

Collapse -
u got blown-off
by hughes_net / September 30, 2010 10:22 PM PDT

if u CAN network (say they both have network cards or wireless), but they are not connected, then u need to start investigating there.

Collapse -
d100 support multi-user through link the modem
by hanmana / October 3, 2010 6:25 PM PDT
In reply to: u got blown-off
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.